Sign in to follow this  
BACKCOUNTRY

Fire Burning in unit #32 ???

Got this off the web:

Anyone have more info?

Could this be Copper Canyon area?

A couple co-workers are heading that way tomorrow, and would like to know the situation. <_<

Wildfire Burning Near San Manuel

Oct 30, 2007 08:20 AM MST (from AZstarnet.com)

Fire crews are battling a wildfire burning near San Manuel, north of Tucson. Tuesday morning crews from the Department of Corrections in Catalina and Fort Grant were fighting the Deer Fire. It is being called the Deer Fire because fire investigators think it may have been started by deer hunters.

The Deer Fire started yesterday and burned about 50 acres. By Tuesday morning, the fire had burned about 300 acres. There are two fire engines on scene from the San Manuel and Oracle Fire Departments.

The wildfire is not threatening any buildings. Forest leaders say it should be contained in a few days.

From the news report I saw last night they said it was burning "near" Copper Canyon don't know any more than that.

I drove by on Monday afternoon and it looked like the smoke was coming from the southeast of Sombrero Butte in the canyon.

A TV news reporter today said the fire was burning south of Copper Creek, and that officials suspected that it had been started by (!!!) hunters.

Bill Quimby

The fire is in 33, it's named the "deer fire" cuz they figure deer hunters are to blame.

Where can I get the most reliable info on this fire?

Thanks,

V.B.

I've tried looking on the Coronado NF web page, google, ask.com & azcentral & can't find a word about the Deer Fire. I don't guess that it's much of a threat or else it would be making more news than it is. I hope it is in 33, cuz I'm packing into the Galiuros this weekend in 32 & don't need the forest closure.

Matt S.

5:00 news this evening said it was in the copper creek area and that it was contained. firefighters had left the area and the oracle fire dept was keeping an eye on it.

The fire is in 33, it's named the "deer fire" cuz they figure deer hunters are to blame.

Of course it is. How convenient. Gotta love the media.