Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Family - horses - Mountains

3 of us brothers Took advantage of a an extra day off work to take part of tbe kids & dad & rode part of the baldy trail up to the look out . If you haven't taken the time lately to get your family together , there's no time like now . You won't regret it .

post-2728-0-28223000-1496608516_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Back in August of 93 I got bucked off of a young horse my father had just purchased on that very trail. While I have fallen off many times this was the first and only time I over got bucked off. The man who witnessed it said he thought he was walking up on a dead man because he never saw someone take a fall like that before. My back was jacked-up for about 4 years because of it. The horse ending up throwing my dad a few months later so he sold it to some rancher in Idaho.

I will admit, that looks like a whole lot more fun than I am having.

Nothing makes me smile more than seeing youngsters on horseback. I dream of it for my kids. Looks like a great time and neat picture! Thanks for sharing.

Looks like fun, good for you guys getting the kids out. We'll be headed that way in a few days with horses in tow.

Craigk - if your dream is to let them ride a horse come by the house & ill take them for I ride ,

If its to own horses I got 3 ill sale ya :)

Can you still ride to the lookout? The last time I rode up there was in about 1968-69. Since then someone said the Apaches had closed the last part of the trail.

Bill Quimby

Bill - what I call tbe lookout is about 1/2 way up , the trail tops out in a really rocky point were you can see for miles .... It's not the top .... A few days latter my dad took a couple of my boys & went back & rode about 3/4 of the way but then the blow downs were so terrible they got tired of fighting them & finally just turned around , the FS hadn't maintained that upper half since the winter or who knows when .

There used to be a gazebo-like structure on the very top, but it was rotting away the last time I saw it. I'm almost certain Baldy's peak is off-limits to non-tribal members now. There's a site a short distance away that is of archeological interest because of the number of tiny beads found there. It is unbelievable to me how early people with virtually no tools could drill such tiny holes and shape such small pieces of rocks.

Bill Quimby

Tomgobbler, thanks for the kind offer. My mom has a few but they are pretty sour. I've taken my daughter a few times but have just had bad luck with finding good horse for her. the one she rode the most is just getting too old and trips quite often so she hasn't ridden in about a year. I want to some day be able to take off with the kids and ride to beautiful places like the picture you posted. I may be interested in one of your horses if you really have a few for sale.