Sign in to follow this  
Azhunter81

First time bear hunter

I just had 2 friends I grew up with get out of the Marines and move back to AZ earlier this year. They asked me to take them on a black bear hunt this year and of course I said yes but here is the kicker, I have never hunted black bear before. Getting a guide is out of the question because of financial issues. Without giving up your secret spot ( unless you want to) where are some areas to start looking for bears? What are some tips or tricks you guys have picked up over the years? What am I looking for to find a decent spot?

Basically if you have any info on how to get a chance at or see a bear this year it would be greatly appreciated on any advice you can give.

Thanks

• Like 1

matazal's, sierra anches, starting in late july look for ridges that have a lot of prickly pear, if they have the fruit on them the bears will be there once they turn red, the fruit doesn't grow on them every year, it's hit or miss, if there's no fruit then they'll be eating acorns or manzanita berries and most likely you won't be able to glass them up so you might want to try varmit calling

Not trying to dissuade you, but we are one of the few states with javelina in it. I would take your buddies javelina hunting. Much cooler weather then and much greater odds of seeing them and actually wrapping a tag around one.

• Like 3

Not trying to dissuade you, but we are one of the few states with javelina in it. I would take your buddies javelina hunting. Much cooler weather then and much greater odds of seeing them and actually wrapping a tag around one.

but they want to hunt bears not javelina? Which I could see why bears are much cooler than stinky pigs.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Hopefully we can get lucky and have a decent chance at getting one.

They have both already killed Javelinas and a bear is the next one they want to do.

Hey man, I am a fellow Marine. Got out last July. I am down to help/learn/hunt along with you guys. PM me. I tried Bear hunting last year on my own and never even saw one, but I had some on camera.