Sign in to follow this  
liv4coues

Whitetail rifle for my wife

My girlfriend started shooting last year when I met her. She's a city girl. I'm from the woods. This is my first time in the city. She started out with a CZ scout in 22 LR and learned proper form etc. She's 5 foot tall but has desire. She likes the 270 win best because it doesn't kick much (me too) and is proficient to 300 yards now. We're waiting to draw a tag and she's bowhunting this year. I'll get her a proper size rifle for Christmas in 270 win. It is mangeable and has enough power to kill elk if need be.

Mark

Who here uses hearing protection while hunting? I religiously wear it while practicing, but can't stand it while taking a shot on an animal.

As far as caliber, I'd go 7mm-08, Only need one gun if you buy her that one. That way, when she realizes she enjoys hunting, and wants to expand to bigger game, she's covered.

Agreed, If I had to pick ONE, I'd go for the 7mm-08. 10 years ago, that was the choice I made with my wife for her rifle, but after waiting forever for the rifle we finally gave up and got the .308. Great rifle, but I have a soft spot for the 7mm's. Personally I don't notice a difference between my .280 Rem, my son's .270 win, or my wife's .308, except I seem to shoot better with my wife's .308.

Bret C.

My wife and sister are about the same size as your wife and both of them shoot Savage 110's in 270. They have killed everything from javelina to elk with them and the recoil does not bother them. I would highly recommend the 270 for an all around gun

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I think I need to take her out to shoot a few different calibers to see which she is most comfortable shooting.

liv4coues,

I shoot a 300WSM, it has a muzzle break and a limb saver recoil pad. Beleive it or not, it kicks like the .243 I shot for years. She could shoot anything if you put muzzle break and or a recoil pad depending on the route you want to take. Not only does the muzzle pad help with recoil, but it also decreases the barrel whip helping with accuracy. Good luck.

sir the 22-250 is the perfect gun for her. i have one. my dad shot it and bouhgt himself one. my wife liked mine so much i had to get her one. they are light absolutely no kick and shoot like a laser, you point and that is where it hits. she killed a mule deer with mine and she started shooting at it at 486 yards the renge is amazing too. i have shot an 30X06, 300 mag, and .243 but nothing kills like this gun.