Sign in to follow this  
Matapuercos

Going east for deer

I'm very interested in taking a vacation east of here to hopefully hunt some deer. What would be a good list of states that are cheap and have a good amount of deer. I don't want a trophy, strictly meat. Even if I take all does I will be very happy. Which brings me to another question, what states allow more than one doe.

You can start e-scouting now!

http://www.njwildlifecam.com/

I have several in-law relatives in NJ and have thought about hunting back there. There are a ton of deer and turkeys, even on the NJ turnpike and parkway. I was going to try to overlap a turkey hunt with a deer hunt but haven't looked into the specifics. One of my relatives lives in Sussex county and shoots 2 or 3 does a year and a buck only if it's bigger than one he already has. He also shoots turkeys from his back porch, archery of course. Also, I think they just opened up the black bear seasons/regulations since they are a problem with the "city folks".

Not sure what the public land is like or how hard access to private is to gain, but I hunted on a friends place back in Nebraska a couple years ago and am going back this fall. You can buy two 'any deer' tags which act as your buck tags and unlimited doe only tags. Lot of deer back there and Kansas didn't seem to suffer from a lack of them either on my drive there and back

I would stop short of "east" and hunt Kansas, Nebraska or the Dakotas. The further east from there you go the more people and harder it will be to find places to hunt. Don't get me wrong there's a ton of deer in the eastern states but there's even more hunters. Lots of public and private that's open to hunting in the west central states. Look into Wyoming as well. Tons of public land and tons of deer.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advises. They all sound like really good ideas. I also know people in Ohio. They don't hunt but hopefully will get some connections. One of my friends has family in Georgia. That sounds good also. Will a hunt in Nebraska require a long shot? I was planning on taking my 45-70 or a Henry in 45 colt.

Thanks for all the advises. They all sound like really good ideas. I also know people in Ohio. They don't hunt but hopefully will get some connections. One of my friends has family in Georgia. That sounds good also. Will a hunt in Nebraska require a long shot? I was planning on taking my 45-70 or a Henry in 45 colt.

The area I hunted was in farm country, properties varying from 80 to about 300 acres. The deer I took was with archery at about 45 yards. Blew a few opportunities at less than 30 yard shots. The family I hunted with hunts with iron sight rifles on their property. I'm not sure if any of them even owns a scope.

I have no idea what it's like in the western part of the state. Its a lot more open country, but I don't know how much of it is private vs public land I mean.

Nebraska sounds good but I've been reading about it and they don't seem to have a whole lot of public land. I'm leaning heavily towards the northern part of Kentucky since I have some family in Cincinnati plus it's cheaper to travel there from Az and the license/tags cost less