Gr8 White Jr

AZGFD Draw System

My girlfriend and I both had our applications rejected because our license numbers were invalid? I thought they were supposed to call you if there was a problem. Our general licenses are for this year and we both got bonus points for deer and used the same numbers for them. Guess we'll hunt Colorado and Utah. They use online applications and will immediately tell you when something isn't correct. Arizona doesn't look promising except for over the counter archery deer.

Mark

A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine. He was actually drawn for a choice he didn't even make with his first choice having left over tags. He's bummed. He only puts in for Archery hunts and ended up with a HAM hunt. Who knows...I guess he could have made a mistake. Next time he's going to make a photo copy of his apps.

Gr8White,

What should G&F do to change the draw program?

Change it so only the first choice in the max pool is looked at? But many would want both 1st and 2nd choices considered if they have max points after many years of applying.

Reissue a tag if leftover permits are available in units one was not chosen, like in your case? If so, this would make a permit in your second choice unit available, and someone may have liked that unit more than the one they were drawn for. So the whole draw would have to be redone for each subsequent change?

Should G&F make a tag swap available for leftover tags? Then, what of those who were not drawn for the the hunt turned in on the swap?

Get rid of the max point draw? I can hear the screams.

In a most equitable system, there will be some flaws and some inequities. Think you found a minor one.

RR

Yes I agree with you. If we were talking about a bull elk tag that the draw successes are less than 10% then the 20% bonus point pool works very well but we're talking about javelina. There really is no need for a 20% bonus point pool when the hardest hunts to get drawn for are around a 60% draw success. It is a complicated system but with a little logical thinking I think AZGFD would see that on a draw with such high success rates there is no need for the 20% pool.

As far as changing my tag, I understand what you mean about someone else wanting my 2nd choice tag that I originally got but there are left over tags for that unit as well so I dont think it would be an issue.

Dont get me wrong Im not trying to bash AZGFD. I support them 100% and I am thankfull that no matter what I get to go hunting in this great state, just sharing a friendly gripe. :P

Very good point. If this were a draw for an archery bull elk tag it would be a totally different story. I never thougt of it that way. I must agree. Small flaw. Gr8White, if you get drawn every year why make a second choice? I never do for pig.

I put a second choice on my javelina application because 3 years ago I was not drawn for my 1st choice because the every available tag was taken.

Speaking of this... Anybody else seem to think there is an unusually high amount of left over tags this year?

A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine. He was actually drawn for a choice he didn't even make with his first choice having left over tags. He's bummed. He only puts in for Archery hunts and ended up with a HAM hunt. Who knows...I guess he could have made a mistake. Next time he's going to make a photo copy of his apps.

They have all of your applications on microfish/microfilm (they can view at any time) I would be really surprised to see your buddy got a HAM hunt when he put in for Archery. Tell your buddy to call down there and ask them to pull it up. So technically AZGFD does photo copy the apps.

M. Gardner did you get your application in before the correction period ended which was 9/25? That is the date they tell everyone to be submitted by so they can review your apps which allows them enough time to call you to fix the problem. Anytime after that date your SOL>

Hawkeye

If I was you I would by powerball tickets ;) because the draw is done on a puter and you and your wife hit the POWERBALL.

Gr8white I use to think the same thing until I realized that they pay for all the apps/regs for us and take their time to

open all the envelopes and make all the calls to notify you whats wrong on our apps (if in on time) If I screw up thats my bad and the 7.50 is probably worth their time. IMO

My girlfriend and I both had our applications rejected because our license numbers were invalid? I thought they were supposed to call you if there was a problem. Our general licenses are for this year and we both got bonus points for deer and used the same numbers for them. Guess we'll hunt Colorado and Utah. They use online applications and will immediately tell you when something isn't correct. Arizona doesn't look promising except for over the counter archery deer.

Mark

Mark they only contact you if you put in plenty early. Not sure what the date was for this hunt but it is in the regs. I'm kinda glad there is no internet applications. I agree it is much easier but I think it gives us a little better chance of being draw(very little) because it is very easy to apply on line. Also I think the internet made it to easy for the Non hunters to apply for tags that will never be used and they will not be charged up front for the tag. Is Harry going to Colorado with ya?

Looks like HC beat me to the first part!

My guess is that the reason for so many left over tags is because there was no internet application this year and everyone had to pay up front.

Hopefully there won't be a internet application and everyone will have to pay up front for the Elk, Antelope, Deer, Sheep applications for this next year.

A while back I spoke to azgfd and asked them that same question and they told me that the same amount of people

put in every year internet vs paper.

I think that human error on the paper apps helps out a bit though.

The wife got rejected For Javi , The reason stated By azgfd website was the first choice box was blank, Now I know for a fact that this is not true, I personally filled out that app. and looked it over several times before sealing that envelope. What a crock they really need to get a handle on this draw because IT'S NOT WORKING PROPERLY............Good luck to everyone in future draws Lord knows we all need it.

m gardner if you used the same number you did for this years deer hunt they would have been 07 liscense and you needed your 08 liscense for the spring draw. Therefore your number would have been wrong.

grey hawk call the game and fish and they will send you a copy of your wifes app. I transposed some numbers on my wifes elk permit several years ago and I said the same thing after my wife drew a cow tag and there was no way I put in for cow.

The wife got rejected For Javi , The reason stated By azgfd website was the first choice box was blank, Now I know for a fact that this is not true, I personally filled out that app. and looked it over several times before sealing that envelope. What a crock they really need to get a handle on this draw because IT'S NOT WORKING PROPERLY............Good luck to everyone in future draws Lord knows we all need it.

Grey Hawk

Like Huntn Coues said AZGFD keeps scanned coppies and of each application. Call down there and ask to speak to some one in the draw department and they will look up your application. Just ask them what your 1st choice hunt number was and see if they give you a number or if they tell you it is blank.

Seems pretty stupid that you get rejected for not having a 1st choice hunt number. Why couldnt they just go to your 2nd choice then. I wish they weren't so black and white when it comes to the applications. I had a deer application rejected two years ago because my buddy didn't check the resident box even though his address is on the application and they had his sportsmans ID # that shows all his info. Also he filled in the box that he had been a resident for 23 years and 3 months. They rejected it when if you looked at the rest of the info on the app you would see that he was clearly a resident. I guess it just comes down to AZGFD has so many apps to process that they dont have time to put in any extra time on the apps.

"I live only about 15 minutes away from the AZGFD headquarters in Phoenix so I am going to go down there today and see if there is some body I can speak with that will change my tag."

The chances of your speaking with someone who can solve your problem are slim if you just appear at an AZGFD office. Write those letters! If you send them to all the people I suggested, you will have a much better chance of getting the tag in the area you want.

Bill Quimby

I took your advise and sent a letter to the Director, Deputy Director and all five commissioners.

I wish they would change the 20% to 50 for all species and use it for all five choices. As you can guess I have lots of points.