Sign in to follow this  
azslim

Long range shooters & 6.5 guru's - your opinion

I see all sorts of 6.5's coming out, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x284, etc.

Other than rifle weight because of a short action why should I choose a short action over the first American 6.5, the .264winmag?

By my reasoning, because I can get more powder in the case, I can hot-rod a 264 if I want or back off a little and still have 100 to 200 fps velocity over a short action round. Right? Wrong?

And for those of you that have one, what reload recipe does your 264 like the best?

The only down side with the .264 Win Mag is barrel ware. Even when loaded down you will still be burning a bunch more powder than a Creedmoor. That being said when used in normal hunting scenarios the .264 Win mag will more than likely last a life time.

• Like 1

If you don't mind long actions, I like 3 rounds. I have a gun in 6.5x55 now, plan to get another soon, and quite possibly will rebarrel a 257 Weatherby to 264 Win Mag when I burn out the barrel. I dream of building a custom in 6.5x06AI.

264 Win Mag

6.5-06

6.5x55 Swedish.

The 26 Nosler looks inviting for a factory long action chambering. I have a 6.5 WSM for my Coues hunting. I suppose the 6.5 SAUM/GAP would be a good short action consideration too. I had a 264WM once, but I traded it in as it did not shoot well. For the 264WM, powders like Ramshot Magnum, H1000, RL 26 should be good.

There are a few 6.5 short action cartridges that rival, and even surpass, the venerable .264WM. Some, but not all, benefit from a Wyatt's extended box increasing magazine length by about .100" though.

6.5 GAP 4S (SAUM)

6.5 SS

Lazzeroni 6.71 Phantom

6.5 WSM

6.5 Leopard

6.5x.284 (actually does better in a long action though)

Shorter throw bolt, lighter actions, more efficient case design. You won't necessarily save any powder usage though, as a lot are based off much larger diameter cases. WSM, SAUM, etc.

If you build, or have a factory rifle re-chambered, there are a bunch of possibilities. Factory chambering in a short action that compete with the .264WM are few, however. Also, a lot of the factory chamberings do not have the twist rate required to stabilize the longer, heavier bullets than really shine in a big case round. Most .264WM chambered factory rifles will come with a 1:9" twist. Great for 130gr and down bullets, but a 140+ really should use a 1:8", even at higher velocities. Not saying a 140 WON'T shoot well in a 1:9" twist, just stability might be marginal. A lot of the newer rifles in 6.5CM, .260Rem, etc. are accounting for the heavier bullet craze, and are coming with a 1:8" twist.

That being said, it mostly depends on what you plan to do with it. Shooting a lot of rounds a year at steel and paper, and game? Go with a .260Rem, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, etc. Doing the same with a custom chamber? Add 6.5x47L, 6.5 SLR, .260AI, etc. to the considerations.

Hunting ONLY, maybe 20-100 rounds a year? 26 Nosler, .264WM, 6.5x.284 Win (or Norma) in a factory rifle. 6.5 GAP, 6.5 SS, etc. in a custom chamber. Go for speed, BC, KE downrange, heavier bullets, etc.

I have two 6.5s. A 14+# 6.5 SLR (similar to a .260 Rem & .260 AI) that I shoot a LOT, that pushes a 140 HVLD @ 2850 for my target load, and 2940 for my hunting load.

I am also re-chambering and lightening an 11.5# .260Rem into a 10.5# 6.5 SS. Still debating on what bullet to shoot. Either a 140 VLD @ 3150-3200+, a 147 ELD-M or 150 Matrix VLD @ 3100, or a 160 Matrix VLD @ 3000-3050+.

• Like 3