Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Lees ferry

Ok who's the guru on lees ferry?

What's a good time of year to go up with the boat and stay a few days up river fly fishing?

Looking for a nice balance of good fishing vs crowds vs weather.

Guest oneshot

I've only fished Lee's a few times, but it seems an excellent place to either 'center-pin" or 'euro nymph" fish... I bottom-bounced with a float up-stream with the flyrod, then insisted on dry-fly fishing, spent more time viewing the cliffs then fishing, great time...

I fish there quite a bit. I have fished this river for the last 25 yrs and spent the last two weekends up there. Last year there was a fish kill and I estimate 2/3 of the population was lost. The good news is that the remaining fish are healthy and strong. The average size fish is around 15" with the upper end around 19". The summer time temps can be brutal in July but the crowds are lower. I have not fished the winter there in about 15 yrs. It can be very cold. May/June then Sept/Oct are good times to camp on the river. With regards to the crowds the weekends are always busy. There are on average 3 to 5 guide boats on the river during the summer on Sat-Sun.

Could you launch and fish w/18 ft bass boat on Lees?

Could you launch and fish w/18 ft bass boat on Lees?

Absolutely! My first trip to Lee's Ferry was over 40 years ago with a 16ft starcraft/33 johnson outboard with no trim. Had to drag it thru a few rapids just to get up river. Ruined many of props before learning the river. There's not a more beautiful piece of fishing waters in the world.

TJ