Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Advice on rifle for son 13yr

I vote for the .308 Win., though I would not hesitate to hunt anything in AZ with my .243 either. I've carried everything from the .223 to 375 H&H, and have bought and sold a lot of rifles in between, but thought if for whatever reason I had to let everything go and just set up one rifle to hunt it all, the .308 might get the call.

Found a browning x bolt brand new online at Creed Sports in MN. great deal. Just need to find 30mm rings. And I'm shooting this weekend hope it's as good as other 6.5

when my daughters started hunting I had to get another gun, I picked a BAR MK II in .270 w/BOSS, the semi-auto action and BOSS took out most of the recoil. And I liked it so well I picked up a .300wm in the same rifle, my youngest was 12 and used to shoot it on the Hunter Ed Field Days with 180 gr hot loads, once again most of the recoil was taken out.

i ended up getting my son a 7mm/08 Savage Axis 2. I went this direction because i could load a lite load (120gr) for deer and a heavier load (140gr) for elk. He's a little recoil sensitive now.

The Axis 2 is a shooter. I posted a review on it somewhere but it was shooting .3 MOA on handloads. The scope is decent....not high end by no means but for a start rifle it's adequate.

• Like 1

.270 will kill anything in this state. Shot placement is more important than a poorly placed shot! Get a bullet that matches the animal in pursuit and you will harvest it.