Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Last minute advice...

Make sure you have a portable propane Lantern in case you have to break down an animal out in the field at night

you bring a propane lantern in your pack?

My thoughts exactly.

I'm rather confused as to how the two of you drew the conclusion the lantern is intended to be carried in a pack. By the time you crammed in all the previously mentioned items, target, multiple sets of boots and sneakers, water proofing spray, gators, a big breakfast, multiple rolls of toilet paper and even a pound of enjoyment in there simply wouldn't be room left for the lantern. It is a handy item to have back at the vehicle if you need to spend hours in the dark boning out an elk. ;)

You're gonna chase Elk for miles, kill one, then walk back to your truck for a lantern then back out to the kill? I'll stick with a small flashlight

In my experience it is generally easier to move the vehicle to the closest legal point and pack the shortest possible distance. I am also hunting with a partner. The one who shot it starts cutting, the other recovers the vehicle, and brings the lantern, pack frame and anything else needed back to the kill.

• Like 1

Wonder if the pound of enjoyment would get you in trouble with DEA?

Make sure you have a portable propane Lantern in case you have to break down an animal out in the field at night

My thoughts exactly.

I'm rather confused as to how the two of you drew the conclusion the lantern is intended to be carried in a pack. By the time you crammed in all the previously mentioned items, target, multiple sets of boots and sneakers, water proofing spray, gators, a big breakfast, multiple rolls of toilet paper and even a pound of enjoyment in there simply wouldn't be room left for the lantern. It is a handy item to have back at the vehicle if you need to spend hours in the dark boning out an elk. ;)

You're gonna chase Elk for miles, kill one, then walk back to your truck for a lantern then back out to the kill? I'll stick with a small flashlight

In my experience it is generally easier to move the vehicle to the closest legal point and pack the shortest possible distance. I am also hunting with a partner. The one who shot it starts cutting, the other recovers the vehicle, and brings the lantern, pack frame and anything else needed back to the kill.

I only shoot if they're close to the road

My thoughts exactly.

I only shoot if they're close to FROM the road so I don't have to pack them out.

Fixed it for you.

We all know. No need to be coy...lol

My thoughts exactly.

I only shoot if they're close to FROM the road so I don't have to pack them out.

Fixed it for you.

We all know. No need to be coy...lol

. Shooting from the road is no guarantee the animal will be close to the road
  • Like 1