IHunt2live

Looking at getting a hand gun

Agreed, the cheap 1911's are CHEAP and big POS

However, the 1911's were orginally designed in 1908.. but it dont matter!

We have some sigs with out the tac rail at SW.

original model was a browning M1909. either way enough with the bickering....i truthfully never have carried in case of a lion but its probably smart sometime. as far as protection goes anythin from a 22 woodsman to a 50 alaskan will work for cats. if by some chance anyone is swayed to go with a 1911 do no go with a taurus or para. best off with a colt kimber or springfield. or go all out and have someone build one up for ya cant find a better shooter than that.

P.S. Firstcoues....your buddies with danny at BPS right?

if someone like an XD then they should go with an XD. Ive never been a fan of polymer guns and steel or alloy always catches my attention. sig also makes an SAS series...sig anti snag, with heavy melt dehorn and bobbed hammer spur available in a few different models, which sportsmans rarely has. XD's and glocks are essentially the same and priced similarly i just do not fancy carrying a fat brick around. i agree with the durablitly of the sigs, ive gone through countless ammo cans in both my 220 and 229, both fantastic acccurate and user friendly guns. if you really wanna great gun build up a good custom 1911, yost-bonitz does an unbelievable job. either way the better choice is a revolver for either purpose, reliable and and more bang.

p.s. as same with optics and other guns, you get what you pay for.

I agree on the 1911, cant beat design that has been around since 1908 and adopted by the military in 1911!!!

As far as carrying around a fat brick, I dont think the sig exactly fits in that! as it is bigger and heavier than any glock or XD that I have ever handled! with and with out the tac rail.

The way I see the Sig web site you can get them with tac rails! Do you really need one to clear a wash, or pig den in the dark, or is it the look you are after?

I have an Old browning high power. It is a veit nam era one and it still fires away with now mess ups. It is very acurate as well. It stay's in the safe and i do not shoot it anymore. It has double stack mags with the slide rail adjustable sites. It has the groove in the back side of the grip so you can slide a rifle stock on to it. I think it is the captain model.

I shoot around 10,000 rounds a year from a hand gun mostly in competition all from 1911's. The 1911 platform is the standard that all handguns are measured for reliability and accuracy.

Cheap guns no matter what platform equal problems. I would stay away from others as these guns will run.

Most people buy a handgun and shoot maybe a box of 50 rounds thru it and put it away. They really don't know if there guns work or not. My choice in manufactures would be as follow's

Not to say there are not others but this is what I have learned shooting over 100,000 rounds.

STI International

Springfield Armory

Smith and Wesson

Glock

The XD is a great choice if you choose to not go with a 1911. The big advantage over semi autos verses revolvers is capacity,

single stack 1911's hold 8 rounds of .45 and have plenty of knock down power. If You decide to go to a a XD or Glock ( double stack gun) I would recommend 40 cal because this caliber yields the best compromise between power and round count. Most mags in the caliber hold 13 to 14 round of 40.

My 2 cents

dcalvert

my 2 cents, for whatever its worth...

The .44 mag is awesome for game but comes in the large, heavy frame. Sometimes I carry it anyway.

The .357mag is awesome. It comes in a lighter, medium frame & has enough power to take a lion... if you want to get that close!

The .38spl is for personal protection as stated by somebody else. I used to pack one just in case a finishing shot was needed on a deer. The key words here are USED TO.

Auto pistols are also for personal protection.

If you go with the revolver, you won't regret buying a Smith & Wesson Revolver.

Just my opinion, but I hope it helps you decide.

so many choices, so many calibers. some better some worse. try hitting scottsdale gun club or caswells and rent a few and find something you personally are comfortable with. truth is thats what matters and thats what the opinions you will get are based on. chances are the pop of a 22 will scare a cat away if you presence hasnt already. some calibers possess the KE to knock one flat some require a better shot. ive heard of cats dumped from trees with 17 HMR. probably not your best choice but it can do it. fine out if you like a revolver or auto better and make you choice based on your studies. you will probably be happier that way and have a gun you enjoy shooting. i think 44mag is a bit excessive to be carrying for that purpose but thats my opinion. 4" 357 is a pretty good choice and smith is a great REVOLVER, any shorter and your loosing velocity and KE.

my .02.... not comfortable carrying any auto on a hunt in the suck - even though i own quality autos including sig, glock, kimber and colts... wouldnt want to bet my life on a jam.

revolvers are best for hunting in my opinion, and if I am in an area that has the threat of bear - i carry a Ruger Vaquero .45 long colt with corbon high velocity ammo.

from what i've been told - they have even more knock-down energy than a .44mag... and the LAST thing i want is to piss off a bear.

my .02.... not comfortable carrying any auto on a hunt in the suck - even though i own quality autos including sig, glock, kimber and colts... wouldnt want to bet my life on a jam.

revolvers are best for hunting in my opinion, and if I am in an area that has the threat of bear - i carry a Ruger Vaquero .45 long colt with corbon high velocity ammo.

from what i've been told - they have even more knock-down energy than a .44mag... and the LAST thing i want is to piss off a bear.

I was hunting Russian Boar in S.E. Ariz. last Oct. when I heard 3 shots. I found this guy hunting with a 45. auto and had just dropped a big (287 lb.) boar with it. He was using Ext. Shock ammo and said that his first shot would have been enough, but he didn't want that "bad boy" getting up as he had big tusks. I helped him carry his prize back to his truck and from what I could tell, that ammo did a heck of a job, as his first shot went clear thru the armored plate that boars have on their shoulders and really messed up its lungs! I now carry the same thing for a back up to my hunting.