IHunt2live

Looking at getting a hand gun

I have packed a S&W Mod 19 with 6" barrel for years, it has harvested 6 javalina so far, last 3 were 1 shot kills out to 40 Yds. Like other people have said, .38 specials make good target practice ammo.

Just remember you have to keep it 4 or less inches to pack while archery hunting. So all the 6 inch 357s will not be your best choice.

Just remember you have to keep it 4 or less inches to pack while archery hunting. So all the 6 inch 357s will not be your best choice.

So my Ruger super blackhawk 44 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel isn't legal?? :unsure:

I thought it has to be 6 inches or less, with iron sights.

So my Thompson Contender with a scoped 16" barrel in 223 isn't Legal?? :unsure:

:P

KP, I'll have to check

Mike

So my Thompson Contender with a scoped 16" barrel in 223 isn't Legal?? :unsure:

:P

KP, I'll have to check

Mike

I don't want to hear that your GUN is bigger than my GUN. :o :blink: :(

You might be right with the 6 inch and iron sites now that i think about it.

I believe its 6" iron sights

correct it is currently 6in iron sight. now are you lookin for a back up gun in case you run into a lion or pistol specifically for hunting? as for a simple carry gun XD is not bad but the sig 229 or 226 is a better choice, 40 cal is just fine for anything you may come across, the 220 is .45 if ya wanna feel a bit better but knocks you down to only 8 rounds rather than 13. as for a hunting pistol any of the 6" .357's are good except in my opinion taurus, some people love em but workin the last 4 years with firearms along with building them i stay away. colt pythons is great if you can find one but quite pricey. woodsman in a 22 is a nice nice gun and works great as a light "just in case" carry gun but also can be quite expensive. another idea, check out a smith and wesson small j-frame air weight in .38 or even a airlite in .357 both are small compact and pack a good punch.....at both ends on the airlite.

correct it is currently 6in iron sight. now are you lookin for a back up gun in case you run into a lion or pistol specifically for hunting? as for a simple carry gun XD is not bad but the sig 229 or 226 is a better choice, 40 cal is just fine for anything you may come across, the 220 is .45 if ya wanna feel a bit better but knocks you down to only 8 rounds rather than 13. as for a hunting pistol any of the 6" .357's are good except in my opinion taurus, some people love em but workin the last 4 years with firearms along with building them i stay away. colt pythons is great if you can find one but quite pricey. woodsman in a 22 is a nice nice gun and works great as a light "just in case" carry gun but also can be quite expensive. another idea, check out a smith and wesson small j-frame air weight in .38 or even a airlite in .357 both are small compact and pack a good punch.....at both ends on the airlite.

Sig being a better choice is opnion. They are very expensive (around $800 compared to up to $579 for the xd's) and I do not like double action exposed hammer semi auto pistols. the sigs are also pretty heavy. the xd's come in 45 as well. they are my preference, and many guys that come into sportsmans warehouse i show them the xd's... many also leave with them ;)

I'll have to say sig over PLASTIC! I have 3 of them and never had any troubles, the 220 is a great one along with 239 as a concealment and also the 230. I would hate to try and guess how many thousands of rounds I have spent in the 220. The Blackhawk is also a great dog puncher and rabbit wacker, I would have no doubts about blasting a Lion with it!

Thanks for all the great edvice! I was already leaning the way a lot of you are pointing but it feels better that a lot of you think the same way. I'm not looking for something to realy hunt with but mostly a back up gun and something to carry when I'm out shed hunting. I was thinking that the barrel had to be no larger the 6 inches to but I think I'll try to get a 4 incher, a bit easier to cary and as heavy.

We'll see if I can't convince my wife to let me buy one after U of A takes all my money. :( It doesn't help that I'm talking about getting set up to reload shot-shells either. :)

if someone like an XD then they should go with an XD. Ive never been a fan of polymer guns and steel or alloy always catches my attention. sig also makes an SAS series...sig anti snag, with heavy melt dehorn and bobbed hammer spur available in a few different models, which sportsmans rarely has. XD's and glocks are essentially the same and priced similarly i just do not fancy carrying a fat brick around. i agree with the durablitly of the sigs, ive gone through countless ammo cans in both my 220 and 229, both fantastic acccurate and user friendly guns. if you really wanna great gun build up a good custom 1911, yost-bonitz does an unbelievable job. either way the better choice is a revolver for either purpose, reliable and and more bang.

p.s. as same with optics and other guns, you get what you pay for.

if someone like an XD then they should go with an XD. Ive never been a fan of polymer guns and steel or alloy always catches my attention. sig also makes an SAS series...sig anti snag, with heavy melt dehorn and bobbed hammer spur available in a few different models, which sportsmans rarely has. XD's and glocks are essentially the same and priced similarly i just do not fancy carrying a fat brick around. i agree with the durablitly of the sigs, ive gone through countless ammo cans in both my 220 and 229, both fantastic acccurate and user friendly guns. if you really wanna great gun build up a good custom 1911, yost-bonitz does an unbelievable job. either way the better choice is a revolver for either purpose, reliable and and more bang.

p.s. as same with optics and other guns, you get what you pay for.

I agree on the 1911, cant beat design that has been around since 1908 and adopted by the military in 1911!!!

As far as carrying around a fat brick, I dont think the sig exactly fits in that! as it is bigger and heavier than any glock or XD that I have ever handled! with and with out the tac rail.

you gotta find one of the good ole pre-needless rail sigs thats all ill buy, also the 239 is a single stack available in 9 or 40. actually the 1911 was brought around by john browning in 1909. either way its the standard to which all pistolas are measured by. steel always beats plastic. but stay away from the crappy 1911's with the external extractor, one piece rod extractor is the only way to go. but hey knives work good on cats to :unsure: