300 ultra mag

How far from roads? Picture for your time

How far from roads do you guys go to CONSISTANTLY find coues deer. In Colorado I usually find the majority of elk 4 to 5 miles and byond from roads. That is with a unlimited rifle state wide bull tag(hevy hunting pressure). I have also seen bulls from the truck :blink: . Bucks, howeveer I find close to roads and way out there.

How about in arizona I would imagine that the coues bucks chasing does would bring them closer to the roads. Since does are usually un-pressured or stupid and closer to roads.

Thanks Gabe

Here is a picture as payment for your time, of some bucks from last years clients.

post-2253-1196309681_thumb.jpg

post-2253-1196309741_thumb.jpg

Anywhere from a couple hundred yards to miles away. The biggest buck I saw last year (105") was 500 yards from the two track road I was riding my quad on, and I sat and glassed him for an hour. it was during the early archery season, I could not find him again during the late hunt.

I think distance from a reliable water source in good habitat is more important in consistently finding Coues rather than

distance from roads. Hunting pressure on Coues is not nearly as heavy out here as it for many species out in CO, though at times I think we are moving that way.

here is a link to a page about what makes good coues habitat: http://www.coueswhitetail.com/coues_biolog...eer_habitat.htm

Amanda

Usually, they are always close to a road.... only because roads run EVERYWHERE in coues country. the majority of roads are from ranchers, forest circus, or other but some of them are not supposed to be there but have been made by, unfortunately (because i own and use a quad) irresponsible hunters on quads AND 4x4 trucks. if you are looking for a remote place to find coues bucks, check out wilderness areas where motor vechicles are not allowed. I will be scouting one out these coming weekends for my december hunt!

nice bucks, btw

The best way to find coues is to glass and scout as much as possible trying different areas only when you have given one area a serious glassing. I have sat in one spot and glassed for hours even a day and never seen deer but then all of the sudden i will see deer and knowing dang well they have been there the whole time!

You can find coues deer both close and far from the road, but I think its more important to get away from the other hunters, which is as far away from the roads as possible. I think thats the key IMO

Firstcoues is right. There is a road on every ridge, to the top of every mountain and in every canyon unless you are hunting a wilderness area.

Is there good hunting in wilderness areas for a coues pack in hunt. Is there better quality of bucks in wilderness? Would anyone recomend any particuler wilderness area? I love to pack in areas for big bucks and bulls in Colorado.

Thanks Gabe

I'm from Colorado, just got here last february and was amazed that there was a road every 1/2 mile. Was more amazed that people were worried about survival equipment and getting lost. I've been finding animals in the more rugged spots where atv's can't go. I went back to hunt the Flattops just to remember what it felt like.

Mark

I hunt unit 27 almost exclusively where we have huge expanses of roadless areas. I consistently find most of the Coues deer a mile or more from the roads. Although I'm aware one area where one can glass Coues deer consistently from the road that is the exception rather than the rule. The biggest bucks we have killed which includes 3 nontypicals and one typical were killed anywhere from one to six miles from the nearest road, with the biggest being a 123 inch typical that was six miles in and a 118 inch nontypical that was one and half miles in.

i tend to point myself away from the road towards the nastiest country i can

I agree with everyone. They could be miles in, in the wilderness with no roads and only foot traffic. Or you may see a buck of a lifetime right next to the hwy. The only advise I have is to do the homework. Get out and glass....and glass....and glass....

Glass for hours in an area, and when you think you're done give it another hour. They just pop up! I usually hit the same spot for two days. First day, may not see a thing and the next they are everywhere, but thats the way it goes with these illusive s.o.b.'s! Also, keep record of what you see, wind, temp, time, and where they come out at and direction they are moving. It will all pay off. And watch the does, the rut is coming and them bucks will have their lip curling soon!!! Good Luck!!