Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

How hard do you shed hunt?

Shed Hunting  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many days a month do you go out looking for Coue's sheds?

• less than 1
    • 1-5
    • 5-10
    • 10-31
  2. 2. How many miles do you hike when you shed hunt?

• less than 1
    • 1-2
    • 2-4
    • 4+
  3. 3. Do you find sheds when you go out?

• Never!
    • Rarely (1 out of 10)
    • Sometimes (1 out of 5)
    • Often (1 out of 2)

Lets do some math, how many miles

It doesn't matter how many miles, or days in the feild IF you know where to look!

On your best day how many coues sheds have you found?

jim

Hey Neo, take a look at antlerdogs avatar. He just happens to know a thing or two about shed hunting.....

Me, I am not an avid shed hunter. I just find them as I am doing other stuff.

Amanda

i work wildland fire and find sheds all the time during mop-up cuz all the vegetation has burned away. ill also check prescibed fire areas

Hey Neo, take a look at antlerdogs avatar. He just happens to know a thing or two about shed hunting.....

Me, I am not an avid shed hunter. I just find them as I am doing other stuff.

Amanda

Amanda,

I admire anyone who gets out looking for coues sheds (shed recovery team)

A good day looking for coues sheds beats anything else except hunting coues!

Jim

I would say I only spend a couple months out of the year LOOKING for sheds. I do keep my eyes open when ever I'm out in the field, deer or bird hunting. In fact I found a small mule deer set 2x3 this past weekend out quial hunting. oddly enough the little guys were not 10 feet apart.

Lets do some math, how many miles

It doesn't matter how many miles, or days in the feild IF you know where to look!

On your best day how many coues sheds have you found?

jim

1st thing - Jim, that is an amazing pile of bone.

2nd- There was an error in the post, I think I hit submit while I was editing it, and it didn't take my final statement - I even changed some of the poll answers but I guess they are good enough for now.

I guess my best day shed hunting for Coues' I found 3 big sheds, a set to a 110 buck, and a single from a 90. They were the 3rd-5th antlers I'd ever found, and I had no concept of how special big sheds like that are. I've had a couple of 3 shed days since then, but never that size.

I absolutely agree with going to where the deer are to look. I hate when I'm out in an area I think holds deer, I move into a new drainage, and after 30 minutes of walking I realize that I haven't seen a single scat pile, rub, bed or other sign that the deer have been in there.

I'm attaching a pic of this year's Coues finds.

post-1107-1196352306_thumb.jpg

nice finds Neo!!

I found a few sheds on my WT hunt, but nothing spectacular. But here is my favorite find (although not a shed, it's a skull) from this past summer. If I remember right, he was pushing 105.

post-1-1196354302.jpg

Amanda

Best day numbers wise for me has been 5, two sets and one single, Littlebear also found one that day bringing the total to 6! best brownie day was a 100 inch set, little bear found a single off about the same size buck, and we found two other white antlers, another 6 day, three brownies.......Best rack day little bear and I each found two....four racks all together! Those are the best days I have had.

Becker

I don't get out to shed hunt much for coues because it is a long drive to get into coues country. When I do, I cover a lot of miles and generally find sheds about 50% of the days I look. My best day for coues sheds is 4, and best two day period is 7.

Although I am far from Coues country, I shed hunt here in Oklahoma probably 3 days a week and as long as I am able to be out there...usually 5-6 hours on weekends, 1-2 hours weeknights after work.

I do have one coues momento though. In '04 I was hunting unit 23 in NM and found one 3 point coues (confirmed by Josh in an email) and 2 other chewed carp sheds all within 10 yards of each other at the bottom of a drainage about 100 yards from highyway 180. -Shiras

Neolaquachi,

It's amazing how many people are in the feild looking for sheds!

Years ago everyone wanted to know why I would bother carrying them out.

Casey,

figured you'd like that one. 6" eyeguard--6" droptine--with almost 21" of mass!

Jim

Ok so whats the consensus on shed hunting.

is it pick a "good" spot and glass em like i do elk sheds or are they too hard to spot because of their size?