Sign in to follow this  
bullwidgeon

Big dead elk

Sure makes you wonder doesn't it I am glad someone found it and can enjoy it.

Thanks for shareing them with us. That is a great set of hornes. Did you get to look at the three horned bull out of new mexico yet. he was something else too.

Guest Ernesto C

Wow!! check the length of those points!! Bret very imppresive thanks for sharing those pictures.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh

Very nice elk. Bret do you happen to know the gross score? Looks like a 330-340 frame, but with some larger points on him that gross score will really shoot up.

Edited by 111

I do not know the score or who found it or even where other than "Somewhere round Payson, I think" from the email. I would say it scores gross wise at least in the 390 or up range. The bull looks perfect on everything except for the beams look a little shorter than say a perfect unit 9 or 10 gene carrying bull. I posted it, half expecting someone to know about it and post the rest of the details. Maybe they will come along shortly and post the Paul Harvey to this...

Bret M.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! That is one impressive bull. I don't want to sound like the fly in the ointment but be carefull picking these up. AZGF put out a letter a few years ago clarifying the legal status of "dead heads". Basically it is against the law here to pick up a head from a dead animal. If the animal died from natural causes it is OK to keep. What you need to do is have a AZGF officer look at the kill site. If the animal died from a wounding loss then you cannot pick it up. You may be disturbing a crime scene. A buddy of mine found a 400+ bull a few years ago during the archery hunt and had to use his tag to be able to keep the rack. It seems like a shame to not be able to pick up the heads but from the AZGF side it may be a crime scene where someone shot the animal then came back later to claim the head. With that bull in velvet and before the rut you may very well be dealing with a poached animal. I skinned out a bull the other day that had a .22 in its ear!

2 years ago i found a dead bull in u1. hadn't been too long. couple weeks. the way things looked, i sorta thought it was shot during a cow hunt or maybe by a depressed deer hunter. definitely was fresher than the archery or early rifle bull season. i'd heard that the g&f made some new rules about picking up heads. had a cell phone and it would work from where i was so i called. they told me the rule was that if it still had hair on it, you couldn't pick it up. ran into the only game warden that will still talk to me, later that day and told him about it. he told me to go cut the horns off and don't worry about it, so i did. just a mediocre 6x6, but i like horns. if what they said is the rule, then this bull looks like it would be ok to pick up. unless you call the leftover velvet hair. Lark.

I'm with you Bret, I think the main frame score is around 385 add the junk and I'd guess a gross of 415". What a bull. I'd guess the left G1 to be 26". You can bet your balls I wouldn't call AZG&F if I found that thing. Just like Lark said above, it depends on who you talk to. I know what the law is and I also know that there are some wardens who'll enforce it and some that don't give a care. I'll take my chances with them coming to my house to confiscate it.

Josh

I'd like to put a tape on that head. I don't think it would score nearly as good as you guys think. If you look at the left side it would be about a normal 330 bull or so. It might not even be that much. The main beams are VERY short. Then the right side is kind of cool but it still has the 330 frame with quite a few inches of junk (which I just love). The spread is OK but nothing great. All in all I would put that bull at 350 gross. Maybe a bit more but not much. I think the junk throws you for a loop.

Don't get me wrong. I would clean it up and put it on my wall in a heart beat. I think you would have to add a counter balance of some sort so it didn't lean to one side.

Later,

recurveman

i dont' think this bull will net real well, but it will gross high. the right side looks more like a 350+ antler. not counting the nontypical points. not a real long beam, but i'd say 50", maybe an inch or so more. it's fairly heavy. it has some extremely long points. the left antler looks like it couldn't decide if it wanted to have 2-3rd or 2-4th points. the nontypical deal on the left side looks like it'd add well over 20", maybe even 24 or 25. the 2 devil points will add 7" or so, maybe a little more. i'd say he'd gross between 390 and 400. no guess on a net. be hard to decide with the wierd way some of the points grow. but i think he's a lot bigger than a 350 bull. there is a lot of difference in point length from side to side that will kill it as far as a net score. but there are a lot of inches there for sure. Lark.

If that is as big as you guys think then some of the bulls I saw last year hunting were in the 450's plus. I saw three bulls last year that make this boy look like a boy.

50" on the main beams is not good at all. A good bull will have main beams in the mid to upper 50's. I've got a bull in my back room right now that scored 340 and had 62" main beams. I think it would be really tough for this bull to score well just for the fact that it is loosing an easy 15 to 20 inches just on the main beams. Not to mention I don't think the point lenght is as good as it looks.

I guess I'm also one of those guys that scores things low. I hate guessing high. Plus I've just seen way to many animals start to "shrink" once that first measurement was taken.

I can guarantee that bulls doesn't gross 400. Not even close. But with that said I think it is a great looking bull. I might even shoot it if given the chance.

Later,

Recurveman

Recurveman - I'm guessing it at 376 Gross witha main frame of 348. The point length is unreal! I know you're a "net" kind of guy but thats my best guess. Relatively short on the main beams at about 48". Call me at the end of the week for a couple critters.

Greg

I could be way chingered up with my 390 gross score guess but I killed a 330 bull last month and it looked nothing like this hog. I tend to trust Epperson as well because he is the biggest antler freak I know. I know one thing for sure I would like to crack that thing and let the tape tell me I was wrong.

Bret M.