Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Tips for boning out meat

I have never seen a shop charge more for a boned out elk. Unless who ever I'm helping wants bone in steak cuts we almost always de bone it so not to pay the cost of bone weight.

Deboned my wifes spike today. So far she has been pregnant for every animal she has harvested!! Again, deboning saved our butt today. If your on the fence just start hacking meat off and save yourself some weight!!

I helped a buddy take one a long way's in on Saturday. It took 2 full day's to get everything out. Fortunately we got some help and were able to get the meat out on the first day. we came prepared with a sheet of plastic and plenty of game bags. The extra 15 to 20 pounds of bone would have been a deal breaker for us (old guy's :) ) The terrain was terrible and would have been unpleasant carrying an empty pack.

The butcher we use at first refused to even take it, but my friend convinced him with some sweet talking. I have no problem paying a butcher extra for this service. They are used taking in meat on the bone that gets tossed out but you pay for when you weigh it in. There is a lot more trimming involved and quite a bit more loss due to trimming. I think many people do not realize this and express angst with there butcher that can lead to hard feelings. Being able to get the meat off the mountain and into a reputable meat cutters cooler is worth it's weight in gold. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

Deboned my wifes spike today. So far she has been pregnant for every animal she has harvested!! Again, deboning saved our butt today. If your on the fence just start hacking meat off and save yourself some weight!!

Lol! So how many animals is that? Maybe she's sneaky and timing things intentionally just to see how much work you will put in for her. Careful, could be a test.

• Like 1

Lol! So how many animals is that? Maybe she's sneaky and timing things intentionally just to see how much work you will put in for her. Careful, could be a test.

This was her 3rd, deer and elk last year and elk this year. It does keep getting tougher!!