CouesWhitetail

how many of you make your own sausage?

I've been making sausage from my Javelina for a couple of years, have not tried venison yet (got to get a deer first!) but will when I get one. I got the recipe off the internet, it's Italian Fennel Sausage and it's very good for spagetti or lasagna. I've been told by others tasting it that it's the best spagetti they ever had. I figure if it's good with Javelina, it's gonna be even better with venision.

2 lbs javelina

1 lb of pork sirloin

3/4 lb pork fat

4 cloves minced garlic

2 tbl spoons of fennel seeds

1 tbl spoon ground pepper

4 tbl spoons kosher salt

1 tbl spoon dried oregano

1/8 tsp ground all spice

1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)

Just grind meat, mix in ingredients regrind and package. I make it bulk, wrap 1 lb in butcher (freezer) paper.

Couestracker

Amanda I make my own sausage every year If you go to LEMPRODUCTS.com they have every thing you would need The sausage mix is great I mix about 1to1 or a little less of ground pork to your deer because most deer meat has very little fat in it 270user ps I E-Mailed a couple of pictures and a short story about my Coues that I got opening day and have not seen it posted yet did I do it wrong or maybe you did not get it or I am looking in the wrong place tx Stan

Yes I do! I love making my own sausage! Mostly I make it loose rather than in casings, but I make bratwurst in hog casings too. The loose sausage i put in ziplock bags and freeze in one pound batches. Then thaw as needed for burgers or pasta sauce,etc. The brand of casings I used were Natures Best.....they work great. I buy a pork butt roast and remove the big thick slab of fat and don't use that in the sausage because it gums up the metal screen/plate that the meat comes out of. The pork butt/shoulder roast has a good amount of marbling in it and so I cube that up and mix it about half and half with venison. That gives me more sausage and adds some fat to the mix.

• Like 1

Keep everything as cold as possible.. I freeze the metal pieces of the grinder before use. This help keep the fat from rendering during the grinding process. Have fun!!

• Like 1