CouesWhitetail

how many of you make your own sausage?

Hi All,

I just got a large grinder from Cabela's so I can start making my own sausage. I was wondering how many of you guys do your own? Got any advice on which casings to use for bratwurst (hog casing? collagen?)? Got any good recipes for sausage you like?

Amanda

Sorry, but that is something I have not attempted yet. I always have my butcher make up smoked summer sausage and brats type stuff.

I will see if I can find out what he uses, as it is very good and the casing is light .

I started two years ago. My Family has been doing it for generations now , But I just started. I would definatly use hig casings. I would also go with an 80 20 mix. These are 2 I found on the internet and tried wich turned out pretty good. Cant give a way the old family recipie but its the best!

5 lb. cubed venison

1 lb. cubed suet

3 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. black pepper

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. sage

2 tsp. garlic powder

Sausage casings

After grinding and mixing the venison and suet with the seasonings, fry a small patty to check for taste. If it is too mild, add a small amount of cayenne until proper taste is reached; if it is too hot, add more venison. Stuff in casings and smoke 28 to 30 hours.

2 pounds of pork (one-third fat, two-thirds lean), ground and mixed

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper

2 cloves garlic, smashed

½ teaspoon rubbed sage

Mix seasonings into ground meat until well incorporated. Stuff into casings. Sausage should be cooked in boiling water until done, and then smoked or fried or however you want to prepare them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I am debating the merits of Hog casings vs. collagen casings (made from cow skin). Sounds like the collagens are more uniform, a bit stronger and easier to use. Do you freeze your sausage stuffed in hog casings or do those type of casings not hold up to freezing well? I have read they can get real weak after freezing. Have you tried collagen casings?

Amanda

I do freeze the hog casings. I went to my local butcher and talked to them about an hour about what to use and so fourth. They told me the best results are gained from hog casings. Then I called my uncles. They said that no one they know has ever used anyhting but hog casings. I have had no problums with the hog casings breaking or anything. And the sasuge shop is awsome.

Thanks Neo, I think I wil mix my own, but I might still want to check out that shop. Where is it in Tucson?

Amanda

Get off the I-10 at Prince Rd, go east, it is on the south side of the road, 1015 w Prince Rd, if you go through the light at Fairview you've gone too far.

The guys there are very quirky, fun, but quirky -

Tyson

The Sausage shop is who I use for what I mentioned in my first post.

Ask for Kent the owner, if you stop by there. I will still find out what he uses on his sausage for you.

I have one of those Cabelas grinders and use it quite often. I bought a box of sausage seasoning from the local grocer that makes 25#. I mixed some up with elk meat, 16# of elk and 8# of pork. It was very good. I buy the pork butts or shoulder roasts because the fat content is very high and grind them 2 game meat to 1 pork for sausage or hamburger and the results have been excellent. We also get the beef roasts when they are on sale and grind them into extra lean hamburger. You will get excellent burger for less than what you would pay for ground up trimmings that sell as ground chuck. The sausage we use as patties, not cased. Really easy.

I've been making ours you a few years,

add 1/3 rd pork butt to what ever amout of meat you decide to use.

you can use pre pack spices from local stores or make your own, to start it is good to use 1/2 of store bought and add your own for your liking. try jerkey mix, we will add fresh peppers,garlic and some seasoning salt. plus a little of this and a little of that :blink:

it come down to the flavor you like.

for 6 pounds of summer boil for 1 hour

smoke in a outdoor or indoor smoker 1 hour

for brat's same steps but no boiling or smoking. :blink:

every year we throw a grinding-sausage making party everybody brings there scraps and eating begins. :rolleyes: we made it to 3:00 am last year...................once you start you will never have a commercial maker touch you harvest again.