Sign in to follow this  
D4HighDesert

Troubleshooting an accuracy problem

dang I dont know what to say if I were to try anything else I would use a real bench rest and a good rear bag with ears the caldwell ones fit the bill for a bit but the Pecktor ones made of heavy grain leather and thick base do help with accuracy. My long range mentor and gun smith is a pretty legit dude but I dont have the time or money to put in the testing he does. He won the last milk jug challenge in Utah for 2017 and Ive seen him test groups at a 100 set zero at 200 then run them out to 500 if they dont hold accuracy he keeps looking for a better load. I think your on the right track though and have a good load mine is almost the same but with 69.5 and win primers same speed and I can get first round hits out to 900 at my range. Did you check bedding

• Like 1

I took the rifle to the gunsmith today. My scope was canted about .75 degrees. I had him level it and put on a US Optics rail mounted level. I’ll be testing it out tomorrow and will post whether or not the problem is completely solved.

I doubt .75 is going to account for all you are describing, but every little thing helps. You are on the right track, lots of good suggestions here.

• Like 2

I took the rifle to the gunsmith today. My scope was canted about .75 degrees. I had him level it and put on a US Optics rail mounted level. I’ll be testing it out tomorrow and will post whether or not the problem is completely solved.

I doubt .75 is going to account for all you are describing, but every little thing helps. You are on the right track, lots of good suggestions here.

I agree with that^^^^ Maybe at 700-1000 yards it will effect. I would see what it does at a 200 yard zero and if it stays at a 1/4 MOA so at least 1/2 group at 200 yards. Sometimes 100 yards look awesome and 300 yards your scratching your head just the way your load reacts. My 300 win mag will be 1/2 at 100 yards, 1/2 at 200 yards, and 1 inch at 400 yards. So its opposite of your gun. Funny i know but it happens everytime on my win mag. I had a couple loads on my 6.5-270AI that would be .25 MOA and be at 100 yds .75 MOA at 300 yards until i dialed it in. Now Im hitting .20 MOA from 100 yards out to 800 yards. So double check your load at 200 yards

• Like 1