Sign in to follow this  
jgabler

Traveling to Mexico

I have been given the opportunity to go down to Mexico to hunt and was just curious to see what your opinions might be on traveling down there. My wife is scared to death of me going down there and is begging and pleading for me not to go because she doesn't want me to take the chance on not coming back. I was just wondering how safe you all think it is. I will be in the vehicle with three other guys, one of which will be the grandson of the guy who owns the ranch. I have talked with Amanda and will get the auto insurance that she recommended me to get, and will clean my vehicle of any ammunition since we will be using the rifles of the owner. I don't know for sure where it exactly is yet, just know it is near Hermosillo. Any advice that anyone else could give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I assume you will remember to take your passport along. And also, it's a good idea to take a copy of your birth certificate. You don't want to get stuck outside the US without being able to prove you are a US citizen when you want to get back in.

Nogales can be crazy to drive in, so just go slow and watch for pedestrians everywhere. Even though you have auto insurance, you don't want to deal with an accident of any kind.

I really don't think you have much to worry about. You are probably in much greater danger driving to work everyday.

Amanda

Just mind your p's and q's and remember they have a different way of doing things down there. Obey the rules and you should have a great trip!

Even if something does hapen I do not think you will have a hard time getting back. Heck just find a hole in the fence and cross. It does not seem to be hard crossing when you are doing it in a south to north direction. As soon as you come across a border patrol or a minute men set up then plead your case. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gabe,

We have owned two time shares in Mazatlan for years and do nothing but drive when we go down. I also drive down to fish the bass lakes. If you obey the laws and do not act like an "ugly American," you won't have any problem.

If you have a passport, you won't need a birth certificate. With no passport, bring your BC and also be sure you have a photo ID to go with it. Since you will not be leaving Sonora, you won't need a Mexican vehicle permit, but you will still need to get a Mexican visa, which is available at Milepost 21 heading south on Hyw. 15 from Nogales.

AND... there is absolutely no need to drive in downtown Nogales. When you go south on I-19 to the border, do not continue on to central Nogales. Instead, get off at the Mariposa Rd. exit #4, then turn right and go a couple miles to the commercial border crossing/station. Just drive thru the US side without stopping, and when you get to the Mexican side, you'll come to a narrow single lane pass thru that has a sign above showing Hermosillo on it. You'll also see a Mexican customs station off to the right. THERE IS NO NEED TO STOP THERE! Just go straight ahead under the Hermosillo sign and over the speed bump and you'll be on a FENCED 4-lane highway with limited access and no pedestrian traffic that completely bypasses downtown Nogales.

A bit farther along you will come to the Mexican customs station. There's usually one or two Mex. customs officers standing outside. Just stop, and they will let you know whether they want you to pull into an inspection space. In most cases, they merely wave you thru. If they do tell you to pull over, just be courteous and allow them to do their thing. It's usually no more than a cursory looksee and maybe a question of "what is this?"

Then watch for the place to obtain your visa on the right side of the highway at MP21. It's easy to spot and well-signed. Pull in, park and bring your proof of US citizenship -- and a pen so you don't have to wait -- to the main "Migracion" building nearest the lot. One of the officers will give you a visa form to fill out and will look at your passport or other papers. He will sign and stamp your visa, which is good for 6 months.

The visa costs about $20, which you can pay (CC ONLY!)either there in the bank area (Banjercito), or at any Banamex bank (cash; not sure about CCs) in Hermosillo when you get there. There's a bank directly across the street from the Fiesta Americana hotel, which is at the first major intersection as you head into the city where you would turn to take the truck bypass to Guaymas.

When you leave the visa-area parking lot, you will funnel thru a single lane that has a STOP (ALTO) sign and a traffic light thingie on the left. If the light turns green when you stop, just proceed on to the highway and be on your merry way. If it turns red, you MUST turn to the right into the inspection area. In all the times we have driven thru this, we have had to do the latter only once about 10 years ago.

From there, other than a few toll plazas (they take US dollars) it is smooth sailing to Hermosillo. Have fun. -TONY

Call me the paranoid one but with the new law that starts in a couple of weeks I sure would be careful when in Mexico.

I have been talking with a lot of my trades and they said they are loosing alot of their help come the first of Jan.

Also I spoke to a co worker and he has a friend who already had to close his doors because of this.

I have been to Mexico one time and it was on a cruise and I was paranoid the entire time. I have heard to many horror stories for me to go there again. JMO

Might be some hard feelings out there in a couple of weeks. :unsure:

BTW thats 1,000 for me. :rolleyes:

I gaining on secondcoueswas70 and GH, and yes you to C/S.

For the most part, I feel safer in Mexico than in Maryvale or south Phx. Of course, I imagine you've heard some of the 'horror stories' from these, as well. If not, just read the newspaper or watch film at 10 on any local TV station. :rolleyes:

And most definitely watch out for those black helicopters circling your house. :D -TONY

Just a guess... but those horror stories may come from people who were doing something they probably shoudn't have been doing. :ph34r:

Last weekend, while on a scouting trip in Mexico with some friends, we had the GREAT pleasure of being pulled over by the local town police. Supposedly, they pulled us over because we were on a ranch road with a history of drug trafficking. After they checked our papers... asked to take my Swarovskis... asked to take my portable radio, they let us go.

It was a little nerve-wracking for a while, but once they found out we weren't doing anything wrong, they let us go.

Just don't leave your binos on the dash for the whole world to see!!!

Just a guess... but those horror stories may come from people who were doing something they probably shoudn't have been doing. :ph34r:

Last weekend, while on a scouting trip in Mexico with some friends, we had the GREAT pleasure of being pulled over by the local town police. Supposedly, they pulled us over because we were on a ranch road with a history of drug trafficking. After they checked our papers... asked to take my Swarovskis... asked to take my portable radio, they let us go.

It was a little nerve-wracking for a while, but once they found out we weren't doing anything wrong, they let us go.

Just don't leave your binos on the dash for the whole world to see!!!

Did you have to give em up??? :o

Thanks for all of your replies. You are all making me feel better about going down there. One more question, do you know what all has to be in place to bring the deer back across the border if we do get one?

You just have to aquire a coyote for 2-3000.00 and they will bring it across for you.

Your guide should know all this stuff and get it back for you with no trouble.

Did you have to give em up??? :o

NO WAY MAN!!! I was not leaving Mexico without those binoculars!

The Police were very friendly once they figured out we weren't up to anything shady... and they weren't able to shake us down for anything. ;)

Well, unfortunately I just found out that where I was going to go is 3 1/2 hours SE of Hermosillo. I think that it is still an opportunity of a lifetime, but I don't think I am going to go now since I will have a twelve hour drive down there, will only be able to hunt for a day and a half, and then another 12 hour drive home, if I was lucky and everything went well. I am just going to pull out the shooting sticks and go hunting here in Arizona now. I thank everyone for their help though.

Thanks again.