Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

Swaro 15x56 question

The original SLC 15x56 was introduced in 1999. It never had HD objectives. At that time they weighed 47.3 oz.

Then around mid-2005 there were some subtle changes made to the color and ergonomics to the entire SLC series. This is when Swarovski started to use the word “NEU” or “NEW” in the catalogs. At this time the weight of the SLC 15x56 went down to 45.5 oz. I believe the basic optical system stayed the same, as the FOV’s stayed the same at 231’ and eye relief stayed the same at 13mm. The lens coatings were most likely a slightly different mix than in 1999. The term “NEW” or “NEU” for the SLCs was used from mid-2005 through mid-2008 and then dropped as an adjective for the SLC series.

In 2014 there was a major change to the SLC 15x56. HD glass was introduced being mentioned several times in the training materials. The major change was the introduction of the Abbe-Konig prisms. According to Austria this allowed for a more slender construction in the prism area as well as slightly increased light transmission. FOV is now at 234’ and eye relief is up to 16mm. The current weight of the SLC 15x56s are down to 42.3 oz.

Optically I guess you could say there have been 2 versions of the 15x56. If you go by weight or with the “NEU” marketing in 2005 you could say there have been 3 versions.

Back to your questions:

1. The SLC 15x56 has been made continuously since 1999 in technically 3 generations.

2. The SLC 15x56 made from 1999 – 2013 did not have HD glass

3. The NEU refers to the beginning of the 2nd generation of the 15x56 stating in 2005 – the NEU designation was used to 2008

4. The “W” = Wide Angle, specifically the Apparent Degrees this unit sees at is greater than 60 degrees (63 degrees in this case)

5. The “B” = Eyepiece or Eyecups for eyeglass wearers (making the FOV comfortable by turning the eyecups down for eyeglass wearers)

6. There was a 3rd generational change to the SLC 15x56 in 2014. The major changes were HD glass added and the introduction of the Abbe-Konig prism system rather than the traditional Schmidt-Pechan design that Swarovski used. This gave the 15x56 a more slender design, lighter weight and increased light transmission from 88% to 93%. The FOV was slightly increased and the eye relief increased from 13mm to 16mm.

• Like 3

Awesome write up! Blows my mind how clear high end optics like the SLCs are. I cant even imagine in a few more years how much more they will improve.