Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian Drake

Deer Cams

Guest Brian Drake

I was just wondering if there is anyone other than me that uses a deer cam to take photos of coues deer with a deer cam? I use a non-typical deer camera. It would be great to find out what camera works best. If there is anyone out there that uses the deer cam to scout, it would be great to see some of the pictures that you have.

Brian, I will try to jump start my brain and remember who takes trail cam pictures. I think Prohunt is the one up in unit 23 but anyway I hope someone responds or I can find something out for you.........Allen.......

Brian, I was just considering buying the nontypical camera. Do you get pretty good pics with your camera? If so could you please email me a couple? I'd like to see someone's pics other than the ones on the brochure I have from them.

Thanks

Josh Epperson

antlerboy132@msn.com

I just ordered the Non typical Deer Cam DC-100. I've not even got it yet but will keep you all posted on how it works out!

TAM

Just to give an update, for those that are interested. I just got the first roll of film back from the trail cam mentioned in the above post. My expectations were not that high, I really expected to see a lot of pictures with nothing and or just birds and squirls. I just wanted to have a good picture of a deer or two. The first picture I looked at was a mt. lion! I was shocked. There were also several pictures of coues both does and small bucks. I also got three different bears (they are all little weenie bears). And I also got one picture with two mt. lions in it and another picture with three mt. lions in it! I could not believe first off how well the Deer Cam worked and second all the different animals using the area. There were several pic's with nothing at all but I really expected that from the get go.

The area I set the camera up at was a small natural seep, which holds water year round, on the border of a wilderness area at about the 5000' elevation. The seep sets in the bottom of a draw which the animals use as a travel coridor. The vegatation is mostly scrub oaks, manzanita, and some junipers.

I've got a scanner, but have no idea how it works. If I can figure it out I'll post some pics.

TAM

Great! Pretty exciting to get those mtn lion photos. How much time was there between when the mtn lions were photographed and the deer? Were they using the water at different times of day or all at night?

Anyone ever used any of the trail cams that are digital?

Well as I mentioned this was the first time I actually used the camera and unfortunatly I did not set up the camera to print the date and time on the photos, so all I have to go by is day or night and to a lesser degree I can tell from the shadows if it was morning or evening. I will have to go back and set the camera to stamp the date and time. But to answer your question the best I can the lions were all at night and the deer were mostly late in the day. Only one deer was caught at night. The bears all came in during the morning time. I had the camera set out for about two weeks.

I finally tried a trail camera and it worked great. I put it up last Saturday in Unit 23 and picked up the camera yesterday. I had 4 different Coues bucks (2-2X3 and 2-2X2) and two Coues does come by including one spike elk. All of the deer came by between 9:00 A.M and 12 noon. It looks like the 2-2X3 could grow into 3X3. Hopefully I won't get to greedy and will hold out for a larger buck, we will find out opening day of archery season.

Arizona Griz.