CouesWhitetail

Bringing deer meat back into the US from Mexico

Hi All,

I am planning a self-guided hunt in Mexico and wondering if any of you have any experience with bringing food into Mexico and also if you have any experience bringing deer meat from Mexico into the US. I was planning to just bring all my own food, but in reading a little about regulations for bringing meat into Mexico it seems a bit difficult. Was planning on bringing in some elk steaks and burger to eat, but I have read it can't be meat you processed yourself? Anybody know anymore on this?

In the past I have always left the deer meet with the ranchhands in Mexico, but since we probably won't have anyone to leave it with, we are thinking of bringing the deer meat back with us. Anyone here ever done that? Last year I called lots of different US agencies about this and I never really got a good answer on it. Some said you had to be able to prove the deer meat came from the same animal that had your tag on it, which meant leaving the hide and head attached to it. Obviously that isn't a really good solution if you actually want to eat the meat. Some agency folks said you had to have a certified butcher in mexico declare it was a deer and somehow seal the packages of meat so they are certified as to what they contain. Anyway, if some of you have some advice on this, let me know.

Amanda

I dont think you will beable to. As you know all horns must have the skull plate boiled out and any hides must be frozen when you come threw the border. You might try freezing it in foil and just smuggling it back in the us.

Good luck on your hunt Amanda

Here ya go, Amanda. -TONY

Meat and Animal Products and Byproducts

Fresh, dried, or canned meats and meat byproducts are prohibited entry into the United States from most foreign countries because of the continuing threat of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or mad cow disease), and other animal diseases. If meat from restricted countries is used in preparing a product (e.g., beef broth), the product is usually prohibited.

Because regulations concerning meat and meat byproducts change frequently, travelers should contact the consulate or local agricultural office in the country of origin for up-to-date information on the disease status of that country.

Animal hunting trophies, game animal carcasses, and hides are severely restricted. To find out specifics and how to arrange to bring them into the United States, contact USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services, National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) at 301-734-7830, or on the Web at Veterinary Services - Safeguarding Animal Health (Import/Export) ( Veterinary Services )

The import and export of wild (and endangered) animals is regulated by the U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS).

More here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/

Amanda,

I believe longshooter is correct as far as not being allowed to bring your meat back across. I would package the meat and try to import the meat with the intent of simply telling someone what you are doing only if asked. If this backfires terribly, I would be happy to come bail you and your husband out of the pokey. Best of luck on your travels and hunt.

Thanks Tony, but I already had that info and those are the depts I called last year. That's how I got the info I have, but still nobody seems to know exactly what is required. I am wondering if anyone has actually done it and how it went.

Amanda

Amanda,

We have brought lots of deer meat back from Mexico. We tell our hunter's if they are going to bring it back to bring a extra ice chest. It doesnt really make a lot of sence that you have to boil and clean a skull but you can bring back meat just about any way you want. As for bring meat in to Mexico we have never had any problems. The info Tony posted in for entry in to the U.S. not into Mexico. I would'nt think the Mexicans would'nt really care if you brought elk, or deer in.

Amanda:

How are you able to do a self-guided hunt in Mexico? Most of the land down there is privately owned so I assume you have a landowner's permission, but it was my impression what I used to call the "Mexican Outfitters' Protection Act" prohibited aliens from taking game animals and birds without a licensed guide/outfitter. Has it been repealed?

Bill Quimby

Amanda

I have done self guided hunts in Mexico for the last 3 years and I am going again this year. We always take our own food and never had anyone question were it came from. We have brought back meat every year as long as the meat is 100% frozen it is not a problem. We usually bring back skinless quarters.

Thanks for the info. That's encouraging news. I won't have a way to freeze the deer meat, so I will just be bringing it back in coolers with ice. I am figuring to just quarter it.

Desertsheep did you have to do any special paperwork to get the meat back into the US? Did you declare it or just go through?

Andy, do you think it's a problem to come through if the meat isn't frozen or is that just a precaution you take?

Bill, this is all being arranged through an outfitter but it isn't a fully outfitted hunt. Not sure how other people do self-guided hunts, but ErnestoC tells me that if you are invited by the ranch owner to come hunt his registered ranch, then you don't have to hire an outfitter.

Amanda

Thanks for the info. That's encouraging news. I won't have a way to freeze the deer meat, so I will just be bringing it back in coolers with ice. I am figuring to just quarter it.

Desertsheep did you have to do any special paperwork to get the meat back into the US? Did you declare it or just go through?

Andy, do you think it's a problem to come through if the meat isn't frozen or is that just a precaution you take?

Bill, this is all being arranged through an outfitter but it isn't a fully outfitted hunt. Not sure how other people do self-guided hunts, but ErnestoC tells me that if you are invited by the ranch owner to come hunt his registered ranch, then you don't have to hire an outfitter.

Amanda

We have asked us fish and wildlife that question on several occasions, but get a different answer everytime we go so we just freeze it to be safe.

We were on a self guided hunt last year and brought back our meat. It is supposed to be frozen completely through. We took down a generator and a small freezer to accomplish this. U.S. Customs made us pull out our boiled heads and the meat. They tapped it and sent us through. Good Luck........ :rolleyes:

"Bill, this is all being arranged through an outfitter but it isn't a fully outfitted hunt. Not sure how other people do self-guided hunts, but ErnestoC tells me that if you are invited by the ranch owner to come hunt his registered ranch, then you don't have to hire an outfitter. Amanda"

Thanks. I need to talk with my friends in Caborca. Did you experience any problems with gun permits and hunting licenses?

Bill Quimby

"Bill, this is all being arranged through an outfitter but it isn't a fully outfitted hunt. Not sure how other people do self-guided hunts, but ErnestoC tells me that if you are invited by the ranch owner to come hunt his registered ranch, then you don't have to hire an outfitter. Amanda"

Thanks. I need to talk with my friends in Caborca. Did you experience any problems with gun permits and hunting licenses?

Bill Quimby

The outfitter is handling getting the gun permit and contracts and such. But I think if you don't have an outfitter, there are guys you can hire to get the gun permit and paperwork done for you. The ranch has to be registered as a UMA though, so check with your friends and see if their ranch is registered.

Amanda

I have never had a problem bringing my food items into Mexico, they really are concerned with proper gun paperwork etc.......As for coming back, we always freeze the meat, clean/boil the skulls and freeze the capes. USDA or USFWS seems to be the hold up sometimes at the border. I personally would call USFWS at the Mesa office and confirm if there is any changes and get there blessing/direction. As for self guided, I have never had any issues with the Mexican government. I dont believe there is any requirement other than proper landowner tags and permission to hunt. The last two times I hunted self guided down there the only issues I confronted were coming back accross the border with our own U.S. agencies. Just make sure all the meat/cape is frozen and talk with USFWS before going down..........Allen Taylor.........

WHY NOT HAND IT TO ANY NORTH-BOUND PEDESTRIAN - NOTHING SEEMS TO STOP THEM

• Like 1