Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

What a bunch of hypocrites.

I have not changed jobs in over 30 years. While I started working for a family owned company through a series of buy outs I now find myself working for a blundering bureaucracy of an S&P 500 Company. The typical work day now starts with a healthy dose of propaganda. This morning was a bit of a shock. We were advised that the corporation had taken a stance supporting the banning of ownership of semi-auto firearms and high capacity magazines by citizens. This message was not well received at our facility by an audience containing over 50% NRA members, several of us life members

However, if another company engaged in the manufacture or distribution of these firearms or components for citizens wishes to continue to employ our corporation to assist them we will gladly continue to do business with those companies.

Did the board of directors get together and have a group brain fart?

I've worked for a Fortune 100 company for close to 30 years (though it was always big when I started, as opposed to a family company that grew). My first 'real job' out of college. The company generally takes a conservative stance politically, mostly weighs-in with regards to regulation & law having to do with the financial services & banking business. The company tends to be more liberal with regards to social types of issues, but don't come-out too strong either way. That being said, I definitely don't always agree with the 'party line' being espoused. For better or worse, I've found it pretty easy to just ignore the crap that I don't agree with. I'm considered an executive level (be it fairly junior... ;) ), and there is often some pressure to support the company PACs, etc. I have learned over the years to just kind of ignore that kind of thing and keep to myself about it. I'm there to do a job and earn a paycheck, which is what I focus on. Some would accuse me of being weak in my convictions or apathetic to important causes, but I simply don't have the energy or interest to get that emotionally invested in every issue that is out there these days. I really suspect that if my company were to come-out and take a stance, that it would be on the liberal side of this particular topic. If they did, I'll simply ignore it like I have other things. I'll work, earn some money, and move on.

The apparent hypocrisy of your company's stance it is interesting, but I guess maybe it sounds like they are trying to make some kind of a statement while at the same time trying to minimize the impact to the business. Or it could just be a brain fart! :lol:

I wish you luck in dealing with your company! Sounds like you enjoy your work and the company thus far (else I have to guess you wouldn't have stuck it out this long.....). Hopefully things there overall are good enough to stick it out! If not, then I'm sure you will find good employment with a company that more closely aligns with your conviction!

Sincere best of luck in dealing with it!!

S.

The Hollywood cesspool is another echo chamber that makes billions off of movies, with the very guns that they would like to see banned.

The Corporate, and political arena, has become such a quagmire of buffoonery, and bullshit, it makes my brain hurt thinking about the collective stupidity of the blue Kool-aid drinkers.

I have not changed jobs in over 30 years. While I started working for a family owned company through a series of buy outs I now find myself working for a blundering bureaucracy of an S&P 500 Company. The typical work day now starts with a healthy dose of propaganda. This morning was a bit of a shock. We were advised that the corporation had taken a stance supporting the banning of ownership of semi-auto firearms and high capacity magazines by citizens. This message was not well received at our facility by an audience containing over 50% NRA members, several of us life members

However, if another company engaged in the manufacture or distribution of these firearms or components for citizens wishes to continue to employ our corporation to assist them we will gladly continue to do business with those companies.

Did the board of directors get together and have a group brain fart?

I bet they are not turning back their corp tax break to the IRS though. You know....because of their superior morals

Just like the company I work for it's all double-speak. They lay out new direction and policy in writitng to cover themselves legaly I beleive, but in actual practice nothing changes. My complaint is more towards the safety aspect but still just the company pretecting themselves and positioning for any spotlight that might shine. I am where I am becuase I have often brought these issues up, but it does nothing for the cause. I try to think of it as being paid to baby sit and listen the endless dribble from the directors, and I do my real job in between.

Corporations are out to just make money. They will jump on any band wagon to make money. Usually the top nots sit in their ivory towers and think even if they own guns that they wont loose their guns but the little people should. Most women are scared of guns, it is a irrational fear. All of these people are the sheep. As sheep herders we must stay steadfast and try to prove to them that science trumps sociologists. They need us to protect them. They need to realize that in this world strength is the only thing that thwarts bad people. That is why the sheep are against President Trump. He is strong they are weak sheep with irrational fears. I hope that I am preaching to the choir. :unsure: