Sign in to follow this  
jonscaife

elk sheds

i've read a couple of diffrent opinoins but there normally coming from a writer from somewhere other than az. so just wondering if anyone here knows when about do the elk in this state drop their horns? i want to know mainly so i know when i should start going out. usualy i go out a couple times during the summer but i would like to go out as early as possible this year. any help would be greatly appriciated.

Good question. The answer isn't a big secret either. Like the RMEF calendar says, "most bulls shed their antlers in March". Antlers are shed when the hormone levels are right which isn't at the same time for all elk. You'll see plenty of AZ elk holdin' on to their antlers into the month of April. I've heard it said that the big boys drop 'em earlier than the young 'uns (probably a good rule of thumb but not somethin' to live and die by). You'll see some elk with hard antlers while others are pushin' velvet. If you want to really know when the shed hunting is best just drive up and down the highways lookin' for a truck and trailer with a sign saying, "We buy sheds". Those shed buyers don't waste alot of time sittin' on the side of the road during the slow times...if you know what I mean.

Another way to find out if the shed huntin' is hot is to look for that migration of sod trompin' OHV's/ATV's. They're easy to spot...you'll see them out in the meadows/parks and open grassy areas drivin' around creatin' new trails while they go where no vehicle should go. Elk don't often come to the roads to shed that bone so you'll do well to get off the road and look for your treasure. Use the quads that God gave ya' or sit atop a horse to get around and cover lots of ground.

I'm no expert shed hunter and others may want to argue but, I don't go lookin' until mid to late March.

When you go shed huntin' be sure you're lookin' in places where the elk are in March and April...which may not be the same place that you find them in Sept/Oct.

Hope that helps...have fun out there...and leave them elk woods a little better than you found them.

You may as well not try to figure it out. In this state guys are there catching them as they fall from the head. I am not over reacting on this either.

great info, just start looking for muddy quads in the back of trucks. i am heading out this weekend to do a little scouting, see where all them bulls are so i dont have to waste time looking come march. get away from roads and cover as much ground as possible, i like wearing the soles off of boots or the shoes off a mule. good luck

YHep. sorry to say most people ride the piss out of their quads OFF the trails and roads to find sheds. Alot of people will also push elk around trying to make the bulls drop their horns.

Maddawg, allthough I have not spent much time horn huntin, I have heard the little boys drops theirs first. lol weird!

I have seen big bulls without their antlers in mid Feb, I have seen 300 class bulls still holding them mid April. I have seen little spikes with them on at the end of April.

But like COUESAZ said "You may as well not try to figure it out. In this state guys are there catching them as they fall from the head. I am not over reacting on this either."

Sadly I have seen guys on their quads chasing the big ones around trying to get them to fall off! That is plain sad! Stupid Quadriders sometimes!

It is a lot of fun though, try to get out where the quads can't go and hike your boots off. Besides finding antlers, you see a lot of other cool stuff too!

When they are not horny any more ;)

Its a good thing Im not an elk, I would still be a spike! :lol:

Dont feel bad.

I'm an old regression bull :(