Sign in to follow this  
uofahughes2

35A Last Day Sweetness

Not to deter from the late great JC but Christmas just happens to fall at the worst time of the year. Especially if you're lucky enough to draw a late whitetail tag. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my family.......I'd just rather be hunting. Here are some pictures of my 35A buck that I was fortunate enough to take on the last day of the hunt. Pops and I glassed him and two other bucks a little after day break, the rangefinder showed they were 973 yards away. While I had been holding for the mythical 100 incher my patience had reached its limits, I was also developing a sever case of itchy trigger finger. At this point I decided it was no horns barred and the stalk was on. After closing the gap to 290 yards we were in the best shooting position we were going to get. 20 minutes of glassing and we found him feeding in some brush, I got the .270 set up and waited for the shakes. It didn't take long. It felt like an eternity for him to step out in a clear lane but was probably only 10 minutes. I got myself calmed down, settled the crosses on the top of his shoulder and let one fly. It was a great shot. Then I took the safety off. The second shot without the safety was way more effective. It went through both shoulders and he was down for the count. I scored him that evening during the New Year festivities ;) and got 182 Official, It might be a bit high. :lol: I really want to thank my Dad for raising me to be a hunter and instilling the Coues Madness at an early age. This hunt would not have been possible without my dad or my stepmom who guided us into the chaos. Once again thanks. I would also like to know if anyone could recommend a taxidermist near Sierra Vista or Tucson. I would like to get a European mount and was hoping to find someone with beetles. Hope everyone is having a great 08!!!

post-2208-1199389054_thumb.jpg

post-2208-1199389256_thumb.jpg

Sweet buck man and great write up...it cracked me up but at the same time I could relate to everything you were saying. Congrats.

Phil

Good for you man!!!

You'll have to show me the rack next time I'm down there.

I think you should have that thing mounted.

A 4x4 is a rare trophy!

Atta boy...nice buck. So did you win the big buck contest at the local pub?

...........among many other things that night.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones advice and congratulations. I think that Im going to boil this one out myself though as Im not really in a good position to be paying for mounts. I was actually thinking about starting my own beetle colony, especially if any of you other CWT'ers would be interested in getting some Euro mounts. The only snag is talking my stepmadre into letting me keep them in the tack room........so far shes not a big fan of the idea. :P Not sure why. Once again thanks everyone.