Sign in to follow this  
PowellSixO

Anyone here go to the AZ Long Range PRS Matches?

I've just registered for the June 9th Club Match in Phoenix, with the Arizona Long Range Precision Rifle Series. I've never been to one, let alone competed in one. I'm wondering if any fellow Coues Whitetail members attend these, or have attended these club matches? Any pointers, or information anyone could give me would be awesome. So far all I know is to bring my rifle, 70-80 rounds of ammo, a bipod, a tripod, binos, and a range finder. Lol. I plan on spending this weekend finishing up my load work up, for my 7 SAUM (which I plan on competing with). Thanks.

Way more gun than needed, but it will work. I shot my first match with my 270 Sendero, What I learned was more gun than needed, lots 6.5C or 6mmC thereabouts, even 223. Muzzle break helps to stay on longer targets so follow up shots don't waste time reacquiring. Also shot strings can be up to ten rounds and timed so DBM is a very nice to have. Stages vary from shooting at 150 yds positional, to stage with 1000/800/600/400 yard shots. You could bring rear bag rest/squeeze sock, ballistic calculator/APP, a way to get wind, temp, pressure or density altitude for your ballistic APP. Or just make a drop card out to 1400 yards. So far longest shot has been 1400 yards. Its a good group of shooters and happy to help out, so show up have fun.

1 Ballistic drop table or ballistic calculator out to 1400 yards

2 Rear bag and front support bags, other shooters share if you need anything like this

3 Plan to shoot prone, offhand, sitting, kneeling and over or through other barriers/obstacles

4 For multirange long range stage a way to read or present your dope for different yardages so you can dial your scope hold

The groupe is good with welcoming new shooters.

• Like 2

Way more gun than needed, but it will work. I shot my first match with my 270 Sendero, What I learned was more gun than needed, lots 6.5C or 6mmC thereabouts, even 223. Muzzle break helps to stay on longer targets so follow up shots don't waste time reacquiring. Also shot strings can be up to ten rounds and timed so DBM is a very nice to have. Stages vary from shooting at 150 yds positional, to stage with 1000/800/600/400 yard shots. You could bring rear bag rest/squeeze sock, ballistic calculator/APP, a way to get wind, temp, pressure or density altitude for your ballistic APP. Or just make a drop card out to 1400 yards. So far longest shot has been 1400 yards. Its a good group of shooters and happy to help out, so show up have fun.

2 Rear bag and front support bags, other shooters share if you need anything like this

3 Plan to shoot prone, offhand, sitting, kneeling and over or through other barriers/obstacles

4 For multirange long range stage a way to read or present your dope for different yardages so you can dial your scope hold

The reason I chose the 7 SAUM, is because it's my least recoiling rifle that shoots .5 moa, has a decent tactical scope on it, and wouldn't be a chore to carry around.

I do have a Howa 1500 Hogue 243 Winchester that would be a LOT cheaper to reload for, that I could use in the Production Division. It doesn't have a great scope on it though. I did change the bottom metal on the rifle too, so it would accept ATI magazines. Would this prevent me from competing in the Production Division?

Thanks for the tips and pointers too by the way.

Edited: ATI Bottom Metal and Mags, not AICS.

Don't the guns have to be under 3200fps or something like that

Yes they do. My best load with my 7 SAUM is 2850 fps, and I have a few loads for my 243 win that is just under 3200.

Yes they do. My best load with my 7 SAUM is 2850 fps, and I have a few loads for my 243 win that is just under 3200.

Why do they have that rule?

Why do they have that rule?

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard it's to protect the steel targets from getting ruined. I guess if you ruin a target, you're responsible for it. I could be wrong though. They only charge like 40 bucks to do one of these events. So they're not doing it for the money.

• Like 1

The reason I chose the 7 SAUM, is because it's my least recoiling rifle that shoots .5 moa, has a decent tactical scope on it, and wouldn't be a chore to carry around.

I do have a Howa 1500 Hogue 243 Winchester that would be a LOT cheaper to reload for, that I could use in the Production Division. It doesn't have a great scope on it though. I did change the bottom metal on the rifle too, so it would accept ATI magazines. Would this prevent me from competing in the Production Division?

I get that and the scope with tactical turrets is pretty much a must. A 243 would be nice with right weight rifle and appropriate scope. You will have fun and get to workout your 7mm at some yardage. If you want PM me if any more questions. Yep caliber MV limits are to save wear and tear on the steels. I would have to look at rules again but production does no allow much modification, meant for off the shelf precision rifles like Ruger Precision Rifle or Howas offering that have MSRP less than 2K.

• Like 1

I get that and the scope with tactical turrets is pretty much a must. A 243 would be nice with right weight rifle and appropriate scope. You will have fun and get to workout your 7mm at some yardage. If you want PM me if any more questions. Yep caliber MV limits are to save wear and tear on the steels. I would have to look at rules again but production does no allow much modification, meant for off the shelf precision rifles like Ruger Precision Rifle or Howas offering that have MSRP less than 2K.

My 7 saum has a Gen 2 Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 ffp mrad scope on it, and I believe it would be perfect for an entry level into the Open Division. It's a great shooting rifle too (.5 moa or better if I do my part). It is pricey to reload for though.

My 243 win has a Gen 1 Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 sfp moa scope on it. It's a decent shooter (1 moa most days), and would probably allow me to shoot my first PRS. But I know I couldn't be competitive with it. I was looking at Legacy Sports Howa website, and they offer my exact rifle with the upgraded ATI bottom metal and mag setup. So technically it could be considered a factory rifle, I would think. Here's a link to the rifle that has the ATI setup. https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-mini-action-rifle/

Here is a picture of both rifles.

I have a message in to Ryan Castle who is the rule maker for the PRS matches, to see if he'll allow my rifle in the Production Division. I hope it will. It's not like it's going to compete with the PRS built factory rifles they have out there now. Lol. I've just used it to kill deer with.

post-14705-0-27344100-1527632519_thumb.jpg

post-14705-0-38053900-1527632528_thumb.jpeg