Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Ozone generators

Anyone have experience with heavy duty commercial types? Looking to get some to run in vacant properties that reek of piss and smoke before we remodel them. Any thoughts appreciated.

If you aren't going to paint, or replace flooring, the ozone is about the only option. It helps, but not 100%.

One of the things I do, is add a scent additive to the paint. You can buy it at most paint shops, and comes in different flavors. I use it sometimes, when I do a full paint. The older popcorn ceilings are notorious for holding odors. I will paint the popcorn as well, or spray it with Kilz. Dog and cat pee that seeps into the concrete slab, or wood subfloors, often requires a bleach scrubbing, or you can roll the floors with kilz. I have done both, and it is a pain, but it is the only way to get rid of saturated odors.

I bought a truck 10 years ago that had a strong smoke odor. I ran a small ozone generator in it each night for a few nights with the windows slightly cracked. Never smelled the smoke again.

• Like 1

Duct cleaning and ozone machine. They are about the size of a lunch box. Kilz if it's a subfloor amc consider treating concrete if pet urine

Thanks guys. The first house was a double wide and we kilzed the walls. Don't know what the Floor guys did and I'm sure ducts weren't cleaned. Buyers backed out on the deal so I'm just trying to troubleshoot. We did another house and it had a slab and I haven't heard any issues.

Any recommendations on specific machines to buy? I saw Amazon had a typical range of 100 to 300.

The machine we used was a loaner. Don't know what brand. One of the apartments I fixed up had a heavy smoker living in it for 15 years. The place was yellow, and had cigarette tar dripping out of the ac vents. Kilzed, and painted the entire place. Still couldn't get rid of the smell after running the ozone for 2 days. Had to clean the ac blower and coils, as they were covered in brown tar.management didn't want to hire a vent cleaner, but they finally relented.

Once you have duct cleaned and ozone You can put auto freshener in the ac filter it will distribute the fresh scent through out