Sign in to follow this  
m gardner

OTC Elk Tag

I'm new to AZ and figured I wouldn't live long enough to hunt elk here because I'm not a young man and it takes years sometimes to get a tag even for cow elk. When they offered over the counter tags in a few areas that have very few elk and expected a dismally low success rate I was a happy man. I get bored easy and winter is a hard time for me. I got my girlfriend one too and we went to camp and hunt. We made camp in my wall tent and went scouting and were immediately into elk. After two days of slip hunting in the cedars managed to get close enough to shoot a large cow. They were moving so I took the shot. She would've done it if they were stationary. Guess we need to find some that like to stand around for her. She's a city girl and this was her first year to hunt. She said killing that elk and butchering and getting it out was the biggest adventure she's had in her 65 years. Wait until she gets hers!

Mark

post-2095-1200450018_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1200450033_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1200450045_thumb.jpg

It was a good tag. I thought it would be crowded. It was if you road hunted but the woods was empty. That's where the elk were. Go figure! She wanted me to kill one because she loves the meat and didn't want to miss the first one. She's a good shot though and now she's up to bat. God bless.

Mark

Way to get the hunt on!

Congratuations!

You went into the woods and that's where they were! Too funny.

Guest 300ultramag.

Gardner, Awesome job! I see the rifle did the trick this time..... You have been fortuntate to see elk on each outing.

I would stay hush about that spot. Alot of people havent seen any elk yet!

PM me so I can get those muley pics!