Viper

Multi-function GPS watch....who wears one...is it worth it?

As usual, camofire is tempting me to spend money. Recently the Suunto Traverse Alpha watch was offered on their site for a good price. Every time it pops up, I find myself researching it. Overall, great reviews, with some minor issues. I'm undecided due to I don't typically wear a watch and this type is big and bulky. I am a gadget guy, but am getting a little annoyed by all the technology, especially when it doesn't work properly. I like the idea of having some features while hunting/hiking...gps, compass, barometer, maybe the route tracking.

I guess the question is, is it worth the $350 for these "cool" conveniences, or will it be an anoying gadget that lays on the dresser. I would appreciate hearing your experienced oppinions.

I have had the Garmin Fenix 5x for a little over a year now and I love it. I mainly use it for fitness activities. The gps on the watch is convenient if you keep your gps buried in your pack like I do or it dies. Drawback are screen is small and hard to pan around. If you are outdoors a lot I would buy one, I wear mine everyday.

• Like 1

I have used them had a Sunnto recently. I now use an Apple Watch, which in my opinion is a lot better due to all the apps. Obviously no barometric pressure but I carry a Kestrel anyway.

I also use my phone pretty much exclusively now as a GPS, addicted to the large screen. I pair the watch with the Garmin GLO so I don't need the watch GPS and save a lot of battery.

I just bought the traverse alpha and love it. It has been very accurate with temps compass and all. I haven't used the gps much but friends have and its great for a back up.

I had the traverse and really liked the watch.... I set it down one day and lost it unfortunately. There's a lot of cool features they have. I like being able to check the vertical accents, steps, mileage covered etc. The wrist heart rate monitor is pretty cool as well. I am going to get a Garmin Fenix soon...