Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Insert/outsert glue

I recently made the commitment to try the Valkyrie Archery system. Its a lot of money but the longevity and precision of their products appeal to me. It attaches to the shaft with a glue on outsert, the "centerpin sleeve" as they call it. This puts a premium on the quality of glue and the adhesion you get.

I've tried 2-part epoxy which winds up being too thick for the space within the sleeve and shaft to get in there well. I've tried Gorilla Glue which is what Valkyrie features in their installation video before now recommending AAE Max Impact. In both instances I've had the field point and sleeve pull off the shaft when removing them from a Rinehart target, 4 times. The same thing happened with Easton Ti half-outs prior to this.

I'm prepping the shaft with acetone and sandpaper, cleaning the inside of the sleeves, and letting them cure overnight. I suspect heat, both ambient air temp and friction, is degrading the integrity of the glue. I'm trying the AAE Max Impact now but that product also lists as one of its advantages the ability to heat and remove components so honestly, this may be a step backwards.

What bombproof, temp resistant glue have you guys been using that stand up to daily shooting? Other than this issue I'm very happy with the performance of this system. Thanks.

Contact Brent Hahn. He’s pretty specific about the component of that system. I’m sure he has a preferred glue

Contact Brent Hahn. He’s pretty specific about the component of that system. I’m sure he has a preferred glue

Did that. He recommended AAE Max Impact. But again, my suspicion is that this will fail in our heat because Brent advertises it as being heat removable which plays directly into one of the major benefits of the Valkyrie system that the components are reusable. I've taken apart many arrows by heating a field point and pulling the things apart but this appears to be designed to do that.

I also called AAE with the same question. They believe I won't have any problems. Just wondering what everyone is using and whether or not they've experienced similar problems.

I've used goat stuff with great results on the victory outserts. Never had one pull out. I usually clean with alcohol, then try and rough up the inside of the arrow shaft, clean again and glue