xmanjk

Gift card

Here is my situation:

I have a couple of gift cards to cabelas and i was wishing to spend them on a new pair of 10x42 binos or the best binos i could get for around $200. So my selection is pretty much limited to what cabelas carries. I am considering the burris landmarks or the bushnell excursions. Suggestion on these or other possible choicies would be greatly appreciated

Welcome Xman.

May I suggest you put those gift cards in your nightstand drawer

and add to them untill you can afford some better glass.

$200.00 is not going to get you anything you will like in a 10X42

My$.02

Mike :(

I bought a pair of Vortex Diamond Backs for $230. Very nice glass for that price. Not sure if Cabela's sells them or not though.

You can get a decent pair of Pentax HR's for around $200.

I bought a pair of Vortex Diamond Backs for $230. Very nice glass for that price. Not sure if Cabela's sells them or not though.

Decent-Pentax :unsure:

Yes, when your budget is $200, you get $200 worth of glass.

Yes, when your budget is $200, you get $200 worth of glass.

DB you are right

I did the same thing.

My Bad :(

Mike

If the budget is 200 bucks and the time is now, I'd go for the Leupold wind river 10x50 or 8x42 +Cabelas Wind River Binos

But if you could wait a while, and save the xtra cash, the monarchs will set you back about 1 hundred more but if you are not in a hurry, it would be workth the wait. Those gift cards do not expire so if you sign up for one of the cabela's credit cards, and use those bonus $ and points you could cut that extra money down a bit too!

Here is a link to all the the binos that cabela's has to choose from. Nice to see it all in one place.

Cabela's Bino selection

Good luck choosing

Well here is my .2 cents, save and get a good pair of binos, you will appreciate it in the long run. But if those gift cards are burning a hole in your pocket and you need something right now, Cabellas has a Bushnell 10X42 w/free spoting scope for 179.00. Just be prepared to buy again later, these are a pretty good deal, but not the greatest optics.

Exmanjk, if $200.00 is all you have then definitely go buy the best you can with what you got. It is easy for some of us to say save your money til you can afford a really good pair but it is better than not having any at all. I'll bet most of us here started out with a cheap pair of glasses and had a great time in the field. I went through 4 or 5 pairs myself and them years were some of my most memorable memories.

Good luck with your choice and good hunting.

Most of the advice these guys are telling is from personal experience and true. Start saving! ;)

I started with $60 Barskas that, surprisingly, weren't too shabby. It was a whole lot better than being out there without glasses. I guess it all depends on how soon you need them. If possible I would say hold out and get the Nikon Monarchs, they are great binos, but if not possible go with what others have suggested for the $200. Good luck in your search.

Go try some different brands out. Don'tt go by what anyone tells you is the best or what they think you should buy. Your eyes are the ones that have to look through them so make sure you get the ones you like the best.

take a look at some Alpen's, i personally like them better then bushnell, The Apex series compares with the Monarchs, a 10x42 is around $249, The Shasta Ridges are not too bad either...its worth a try. But the Monarchs are def a good buy, cant go wrong for your money

Bmf1321 said it, find the ones that are most comfortable to you...

azryan,

I'll definitely look at the nikon monarchs. I think i will head down to the sportsman warehouse and try some of the binos out there. The only bad thing is that i can't really see how binos would work in low light conditions...i think. As far as some of the other post, being a poor college student i'm really not in the position to buy a pair of swarovski's.