Sign in to follow this  
trophyseeker

dirt work preparation for yard rock?

Instead of a pick use a rototiller. Those work pretty good on getting up the grass. I would level the yard before laying rock, because the yards that I've seen where they didn't level the ground before rock looked better before.

• Like 1

dang white people, always messin up a good time.

Every time a bunch of white people get together one cracker just gotta mess it up.

• Like 2

OK . NO Frickin plastic. I Lanscaped new homes for 35 years and put plastic down 5 times. Cause the old White people demanded it. Its a old SUn City joke from the early 70 's.................LOL ...............BOB!

Ok , but why I here alot of no fricken plastic but not one reason besides if the sun hits it then it deterates, white people want it, ok I'm white sorry not my choice, but I did my yard 10 yrs ago and no weeds or problems. So what's the problem, no plastic but people are suggesting to illegally use diesel fuel, that's just stupid so what color of people do that. Please enlighten me, sounds like a lot of dirt experts out there

Here is why not to use plastic but use a cloth weed barrier instead. When I bought my house the front yard was rocked with two small trees in it. I found out they used plastic under the rock. I have a slant to my yard down to the street and if we get a good hard rain the water has no place to go but down the plastic carrying rocks with it. The edges where water can get under the plastic is great for centipedes, scorpions and all sorts of other lovely creatures. Not a dirt expert but my experiences of having plastic. Cloth may be just as bad but it is better for the water to be able to soak into the ground rather than run off in my experience.

After owning a landscape company for 20 years... never use plastic. What a nightmare it turns into. Ask any professional and they will tell you the same. Lots of Joe Homeowners use plastic...then regret it!

So why, I get the regret it part, is it because of future landscaping.

I wouldn't put my house downhill of a lot of plastic. Also I wouldn't put plastic around trees because water won't get to them. I've used plastic once because it was a high traffic spot and I wanted extra weed control. It was in a spot that had vehicles on it, and had no problems with plastic. But with that plastic I used a double layer of tarp with it, and made sure that there wasn't a water run off problem, or trees.