Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Bonus points question

It's the same as far as the bonus point total, but putting in together still only gives you ONE number in the draw. Either both get permits or both come up empty.

Obviously with the second option, you will EACH have a number in the draw, but the probable outcome is only one of you might draw or neither of you will. Getting hits for two low numbers so you both get a permit has terrible odds, especially if you apply for primo units.

If you want to hunt together where you both have permits, applying together and going with the outcome will give you the best chance to do so. -TONY

Mikep35

Say with 4BP, that gives one a 10% chance of getting drawn.

If you put in together on the same app, you will have a 10% chance you would be drawn together.

If you put in separately, there is an 18% chance one of you would be drawn (but not the other) and only a 1% chance both of you would be drawn.

boneus points don't matter any. it's still the luck o' the draw. a guy i know had max points for elk a few years ago when they set aside 20% of the tags for max point guys. the azgfd guaranteed all of em either first or 2nd choice. there were 70 somethin' folks. well, him and 5 or 6 other guys didn't get drawn. next year they guaranteed em their first choice. mathematically impossible for em to not get their first choice. he got the last tag for his 2nd choice. one guy didn't get drawn. even tho it was absolutley impossible for that to happen. azgfd was plum perplexed as to why that happened. especially when there were nonresidents with no points that got drawn. if your number doesn't come up in the computer, you don't get drawn. i'll have 10 points for elk this year and 15 for pronghorn. i'll hafta take my shoes off to count up how many i have for bighorn. i'll be happy with even one of the 3, but i doubt i get it. when it comes to the luck o' the draw, i don't have much. i've seen guys draw an elk tag 7 out of 10 years. bull tags too. seen guys get 3 or 4 tags in a row. my dad went 16 or 17 years between elk tags. he's never had a pronghorn permit. i don't know what to do about the deal, but the boneus points don't seem to give very many folks any kind of edge and a total lack of points seems to work real well for some folks. maybe it's a conspiracy. Lark.

Thanks guys. I think that we'll just put in separate giving us a better chance of SOMEONE getting drawn. We made a deal that no matter who gets drawn, we both go and help the other person. I want to hunt of course, but I would rather one of us get drawn than neither of us. As long as we're out there right? ;)

I think everyone should find new hunting partners

who have never taken the hunter safety course

and add them to their Apps.

That way we can help recruit new hunters

and we can teach them how to hunt.

:unsure:

Mike

Lark.....sorry to hear of the drought...that has to be depressing. I have to admit we have been lucky in our family. Over the last 20 years with me and two of my boys putting in we have drawn a total of 5 bull tags.......one archery and 4 late bull rifle. That seems meager at best, but not in comparison to your numbers.

I start out fresh this year with one bonus point......... :(

oh well. that's the way it is. about 20 years ago i got drawn several times for elk in just a few years. but it has been slow for my whole bunch for awhile. one son got a late bull tag this year. first one since 2000 or any of us. i've had one Az. pronghorn tag in my life and a friend of my kid has had 3 and he's only 21. Lark.

this is my first year applying for anything, and im not sure i understand the whole bonus point system.if i dont get drawm do i automatically receive one so next year my chances of being drawn are "increased", or do you have to specifically ask for one, or what? Btw, what an amazing source of info and knowledge at my fingertips...thanks a ton!

this is my first year applying for anything, and im not sure i understand the whole bonus point system.if i dont get drawm do i automatically receive one so next year my chances of being drawn are "increased", or do you have to specifically ask for one, or what? Btw, what an amazing source of info and knowledge at my fingertips...thanks a ton!

Yup if you are not drawn you will be awarded a bonus point for next year and every year your not drawn .If you get your

hunters ed card before next draw you will also recieve another permanent bonus point. So it is possible you could

go into next years draw with 3. The 3rd being your application next year.

Also you can get a loyalty point after putting in for the same species for 5 consecutive years.

Once you are drawn you lose all your points except for the bonus point. You also will not lose your loyalty point

(once you get it) if you continue putting in. If you miss a year then you will start all over on the loyalty point.

Oh yeah welcome to the best hunting website going. ;)

What ever you do don't ask about " sighting in your rifle" or "which bow is better" And definately dont ask about

a deer having his antler blown off. :o :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS- also dont tell anyone about how long you leave your treestand in the woods.

PSS- Dont ask anyone about binoculars either unless you want an earfull of how good Swaro's are and how

crappy Leica's are. :o :lol:

JK -

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here I go agreeing with Lark again.

The bonus point system is a bone AGFD has thrown to those of us who can't understand why we're not allowed to hunt just one of all the elk we keep seeing. .

After reading the posts in this thread I'm buying $200 worth of lottery tickets this week. This should increase my odds of getting drawn by 200%. :rolleyes:

Bill Quimby

Here I go agreeing with Lark again.

The bonus point system is a bone AGFD has thrown to those of us who can't understand why we're not allowed to hunt just one of all the elk we keep seeing. .

After reading the posts in this thread I'm buying $200 worth of lottery tickets this week. This should increase my odds of getting drawn by 200%. :rolleyes:

Bill Quimby

I agree. Just put everyone's name in the hopper and pull them out. If you don't get a tag, oh well, come back next year and try again. Works for NM and Idaho.

The bonus point system, by itself wasn't so bad, but then they started making it more and more complicated, multiple drawings, et, etc. Kids and young people just starting out are the ones getting screwed.