Sign in to follow this  
NOFX

Refinishing a rifle stock

I have an old 30-06 and 410 GA shotgun that have been in the family for a long time (passed down generation to generation). The stocks are looking a little hammered and I was wondering what would be the best way to refinish them. Ive googled some info on it but their seems to be several different methods. Any help would be appreciated.

I once refinished a stalk on a 410/22 combo rife and I was pleased at how it turned out.

First take the stock and forearm off, make life much easier.

Second I sanded off all the old finished and smoothed out all the dants. Lucky the checkering wasn't in that bad of shape so I left it alone.

Then I used layers and layers of Tru-Oil made by Birchwood-Casey, You should find it at most gun shops. I found the best way to apply each layer is to use your fingers and hand.

Between the layers lightly sand with steelwool or very fine sand paper.

Birchwood-Casey has a complet refinishing kit for pretty cheap on their web page but it also includes stain. I liked using just the TRU-OIL

Hope this helps.

Mike

If they are as old as your saying i wouldn't touch them. the value will go down. you never know in the next couple of generations they might pay for someones college or a new house

Not antiques or anything. Just passed from my great grand father down. Only centimental value here.

Anyway I had nothin to do today cause I gave up on the archery hunt, so Ive already started with the 410 GA. Thanks for the Ideas.

start with sandpaper, in increasingly fine grades. finish with steel wool, also getting finer as you go. i like to put a little boiled linseed oil on em and then wax em with stock wax. get it good and warm and warm the stock too, for oiling and waxing. lay the stock on the dash o' your 4x4 in the sun awhile and it'll do the job. it'll really suck in the finish then. and if i want it really nice, use birchwood-casey tru-oil. apply a thin coat with your fingers and buff it with xxx steel wool, and do it again and again until you get the result you want. be carefull around the checkering, if it has any. you might even wanna get a checkering tool and re-do it, too. it ain't too hard to do, as long as you have the right cutter for your checkering dimension. Lark.

Ive already sanded the 410 GA down, but I guess I will probably leave the 30-06 alone. Its been around a little longer. I just wanted to add a personal touch before I hand the 410 down. Thanks for the advice.

Buy the Birchwood Casey kit with stain, tru-oil and conditioner. If you want to get fancy also buy a bottle of gunstock wax.

280REM

So I didnt know about the kit when I started but the stock is completely sanded down. After I stripped the finish I ironed the stock over a damp rag which helped pull dents and scratches up. Then I simply sanded the old stain down. Im a little confused on what to do next. I want a light natural stain while darkening the grain. Whats the best way to do this?

As far as the tru-oil and conditioner, is that simply a finish that is applied after the stain?

What type of .410 is it? Hopefully not a mod 42 winchester. Depending on the collectibility of the gun, depends on what you should use to refinish it, now that it's been stripped.

so who made the .410?

Schmitty

Its a Western auto revelation model R330B. I really doubt there is any collectability value of the gun. I think that I may have miss led on how old they are by stating that they have been in the family for a long time.

WikiAnswers valued the revelation R330B at less than $100 dollars. I guess that it is "store brand" of the Mossberg 183Ta.

So centimental value only

here lately i started collecterizin' the old brand name guns. jc higgins was sears' old line. monkey wards has western field. jc penneys had a line, revelation was the western auto line. got me a monkey wards .22 pump. it was made by savage with with the western field logo. got me a jc higgins .22 auto that looks to be made by hi standard. i think the revelations were mostly savage, stevens and mossbergs. nothing wrong with them at all. andya never want to get rid of a gun that was handed down. they are an heirloom, no matter the book value. i want to get at least one gun from the different lines. seems like sears made ted williams guns too. i know they made ted williams fishing gear. i heard walmart was gonna come out with their own line. dick cheney shotguns. Lark.

jc penneys had a line, ...

That was the Foremost brand. I sold thousands of them in the early 1970s when I managed the sporting good department of the J.C Penny's at Tower Plaza on E. Thomas Rd. in Phx. -TONY