Tac

lets talk effective distance for caliber/bullet weight

Think about pee gravel and a stone when you think about wind drift. REALLY

Dan  

23 minutes ago, recurveman said:

The only thing you need to know about wind drift.   Don't pee into the wind.    Everything else will just work itself out.  

I've seen a lot of competitors faces after the wind had misplaced their shot wishing that statement was true. Basically two things are going to affect your bullet, gravity and wind. At the City of Safford Rifle Range they have steel cut outs of Deer at 400 and 700 yards. Every time I have been at that range the Deers legs were always shot up at both distances. Apparently someone hasn't figured out the gravity part. No telling on how many have missed due to wind. That range does have some wind.

33 minutes ago, recurveman said:

The only thing you need to know about wind drift.   Don't pee into the wind.    Everything else will just work itself out.  

I've seen a lot of competitors faces after the wind had misplaced their shot wishing that statement was true. Basically two things are going to affect your bullet, gravity and wind. At the City of Safford Rifle Range they have steel cut outs of Deer at 400 and 700 yards. Every time I have been at that range the Deers legs were always shot up at both distances. Apparently someone hasn't figured out the gravity part. No telling on how many have missed due to wind. That range does have some wind.

The gravity part is the easy part. Just make sure your loads are single digit or low teens.  Reading the wind separates the men from the boys when shooting out past 700 yrds . Also knowing whether   

you have a right or left barrel twist (most barrels are right hand twist but there are some left hand out there) to add or subtract your spin drift to your windage setting . I think the best thing you can do is shoot rocks as far as you can when ever you can. Up canyons across canyons down canyons. Turning rocks into gravel at long range will teach you how to read the different winds and most important will give you the confidence that you can make that long shot when it counts . Just my 2 cents.    

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, Dan said:

The gravity part is the easy part. Just make sure your loads are single digit or low teens.  Reading the wind separates the men from the boys when shooting out past 700 yrds . Also knowing whether   

you have a right or left barrel twist (most barrels are right hand twist but there are some left hand out there) to add or subtract your spin drift to your windage setting . I think the best thing you can do is shoot rocks as far as you can when ever you can. Up canyons across canyons down canyons. Turning rocks into gravel at long range will teach you how to read the different winds and most important will give you the confidence that you can make that long shot when it counts . Just my 2 cents.    

Dangerous Dan nothing wrong with busting a few rocks, just hope I'm not up canyon or down canyon while your doing your practicing. Just my 2 cents.

Dan 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, win71 said:

Dangerous Dan nothing wrong with busting a few rocks, just hope I'm not up canyon or down canyon while your doing your practicing. Just my 2 cents.

Dan 

I know it can be difficult for some people  to tell the difference between a rock and a person .   I always have a spotter when I shoot to make sure that it is a rock that were shooting at and not a person  in rock camouflage whether it be up or down canyon    😁😁😁