Sign in to follow this  
John O

Changes in 2008

Came across this on AZGF site. This seems to change a lot about how things are currently done for hunt dates. Does anyone know if this is expected to affect all units, or just some, or if it is even a real possibility? It would potentially move the Nov. whitetail hunt to the last week of the month. Here is the link:

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/huntingrecom...es2008-2010.pdf

Well word on the dirt road is its just some units. I have heard and read various places that it is not all but rather some. i remember something around 10 or so units but maybe someone can chime in with some better information.

but thanks for the link, always enjoy reading about our G&F even when i dont agree with them...

Those guidelines were approved at last summer's commissioners' meeting in Flagstaff.

Notice that the Nov 28 coues season will overlap the Nov 28 general bull elk season.

I believe the deer seasons will voted on at the April commission meeting.

I don't read anywhere that the Nov. Coues date change would be for limited units. Am I wrong?

I probably wouldn't be against a later Nov. Coues hunt. It would be nicer with cooler weather.

It would suck for the elk hunts that are occuring though. That could possibly fill the woods pretty heavy with hunters. Maybe an amendment for that would be in order.

It would suck for the elk hunts that are occuring though. That could possibly fill the woods pretty heavy with hunters. Maybe an amendment for that would be in order.

Just guessing here, but common sense seems to indicate that these hunts would be put in place in the southern half of the state where elk are somewhat rare and Coues deer are somewhat common. ;) -TONY

From the guidelines

General deer hunts will occur on standard opening dates. When stratified, a series of 7-day hunts may occur throughout October and November with all hunts opening on a specific Friday and closing the following Thursday. A December white-tailed deer hunt will open the Friday of week 50 and continue to

the end of the year.

The following seasons will be available:

Juniors-only on Friday of week 41 (October 10, 2008 and October 9, 2009)

White-tailed on Friday of week 43 (October 24, 2008 and October 23, 2009)

White-tailed or Mule Deer on Friday of week 44 (October 31, 2008 and October 30, 2009)

Mule Deer on Friday of week 45 (November 7, 2008 and November 6, 2009)

Mule Deer on Friday of week 46 (November 14, 2008 and November 13, 2009)

Juniors-only on Friday of week 47 (November 21, 2008 and November 20, 2009)

White-tailed on Friday of week 48 (November 28, 2008 and November 27, 2009)

White-tailed on Friday of week 50 (December 12, 2008 and December 11, 2009)

If only a single early deer season is selected in October or November, the season will run for 10 days.

Antlerless elk seasons will not overlap with a deer season in units with hunts for both species. Season dates

will be selected to avoid such overlaps. If the unit is managed under Alternative Hunt Management, 10-day

seasons may also be used.

Hopefully, no overlaps with rifle bull will be made, althought this says for cow elk.

Just guessing here, but common sense seems to indicate that these hunts would be put in place in the southern half of the state where elk are somewhat rare and Coues deer are somewhat common. ;) -TONY

You're right with common sense and I know where elk and deer live in the state ;) .

However, there are units with overlap of species and without any specific units shown, you would have to consider the possibility that it could happen. There are bull hunts that start on the days that have been proposed for the coues deer change.

Just a concern <_< . I guess we shall see when they come out huh?

I think they usually come out late April or early May. They have them posted online lately, well before they are sent to license dealers though.

I know we will find out tomorrow, but Tony- Have you heard any updates on this? Sounds like the fall deer seasons may undergo a major overhaul.

WAIT WAIT WAIT! So i drew a 21 bull tag with the specific purpose of not having to hunt with 10000 other people and they are gonna throw a coues hunt in on me? I really hope thats just some units cuz that would billyjack my hole plan.

I know we will find out tomorrow, but Tony- Have you heard any updates on this? Sounds like the fall deer seasons may undergo a major overhaul.

I haven't seen the final PROPOSALS yet, and most certainly nothing is written in stone until the commission approves them at the meeting this month. -TONY

I cant see them putting any deer hunt together with any elk hunt let alone bull. That just seems like it could cause problems, "well i thought it was a big deer" or "Well mr. officer it looked like an elk to me". Isnt there a rule in the regs stating that during a General elk season or a general javelina season that you cant hunt anything else except with a shot gun, or somthing like that?

That just seems like it could cause problems, "well i thought it was a big deer" or "Well mr. officer it looked like an elk to me".

Why should the above be anymore of a problem than when a hunt for a single species takes place in units with both deer and elk in it?? -TONY