gnoto

NEW RIFLE PURCHASE FOR NOV HUNT ADVIDE

If you are cheap like me, meaning that you you want the most for you money, well hello brother. You have already got some great comments from the CWT boys already. One thing I might add is the you take into concideration is the ammos cost and availability. .270 Weatherbys ballistics have always impressed me but so has the cost of a box of ammo. I'm not picking on the caliber just triing to make a point.

.243 might be a little light for Elk as already mentioned but you can't go wrong with .270, 30-06, .300 Win mag. These calibers are available pretty much any where you can find ammo. heck at Wally Mart you can get the .243, .270, 30-06 for $11.97 a box and if you are lucky your rifle will shoot best with one of these loads.

When I bougt my M70 6 years ago when I walked in to Wally Mart intent on getting a .300 win mag or a 7mm Rem mag. "I had to have a Magnum". After seeing the cost of ammo to practice with I walked out with the '06. I have never regreted it.

You mentioned someting for all AZ game, the 30-06 is hard to beat. It can be loaded form 100grs to 220grs. Mags also hold one less round then standard, some see this as nothing but I said it would one day and it did make a diff on opening morning Friday. Me with my 30-06 and my hunting partner(cousin) 7mm mag. That is a story for another post.

You have ALOT to chew on and you better get going, TIME IS SHORT. You make ME NERVOUS your hunt is coming SOON and your still shopping.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!

:lol:

I'm pretty sure that the weatherby vanguard rifle at walmart for $199 is chambered in .270 winchester, not .270 weatherby.

There were no Weatherby .270's to be found. for $200. I did find a Savage 110 with a Burris Scope on it for $200.

The 300 is just too much when I figured in all costs including ammo and like many of you noted a .270 Win will do the job. I called every Wal MArt in the Valley and could not find a Weatherby .270 for under $388. After seeing Ernesto's post I could not bring myself to spend more then $200 at Walmart. So the choices were

.270 Win in

Used Ruger M77 with trashed old scope for $400 good wood stock

Used Savege 110 same old trashed scope $275 average wood stock

New Savage 110 Synthetic Stock with Simmons $200 from Wal Mart

I'll tell ya what I chose tomorrow and most importantly how it reacted on the range today.

Thanks for all the help.

I think the 270 is a great caliber. The 30 cals are too big in my opinion for coues. With the 270, you can go down to a 130 grain, and keep you ballistic coefficient high. If you drop below 150 with a 30 cal, you lose your efficiency out past 300 yards. If you really want a good round, reload a 110 v-max in 270. That is a flat shooting round. You will be impressed. Use the 150 gr in your 270 for elk if you are lucky enough to get drawn.

30 cals too much for coues??? how long have u been hunting coues??? i think 95%+ would say that there is no such thing as "too much for coues"

My buddy has a 300 mag, and nearly blew the front shoulder off the couse the shot last weekend. I see your point though. I have used 30 cal on coues in the past, but I personally think it is overkill. You just need to make sure you place the shot right. Hey, firstcoueswas80, I see you are going to NAU. I graduated from there last year. I had quite a few classes in your dept. I heard someone from NAU plugged a 130" buck in 34. Do you know who it is? I think he is from Sierra Vista. I knew a huge hunter from Sierra Vista at NAU (Drew?), but I think he already graduated.

Edited by JVS

Most coues hunters don't shoot big magnums (.30 cal's) so they can have more knock down power at 100-300 yards. They shoot the big magnums so they can have enough knock down power at 500-600 yards. It doesn't take a cannon to kill a coues, some hunters just like to shoot them from a long ways off.

I picked up a Savage Model 110 with Simmons Scope. Two boxes of Federal 130 grain. Headed out to Ben Avery comitted to homing this thing in at 200 yds before I left. Started at 50 yards two shots a bit high and right. One adjustment and three in the center circle within 1". Took it to 100 yards was still a bit high after the first group of 3. Made a few adjust ments and after two more 3 shot groups and was well within 1". Took it all the way out to 200 since there was no 150 yd stand I could find. Shot the first 5 shot pattern and was a bit high not just the sight I was just not lined up well with the scope and needed to adjust the sight to 8x. Still a bit high. One more adjustment and I hit 5 of 5 within the 10 and 2 of 5 in the X. I am quite suprised how well this weapon shoots. It cost me $200 Never shot a Savage or a .270 before, but I am quite happy with it and hope to recover enough by early next week to shoot a few more before I hit the hills. I must say I am completely blind beyond 200 yards so I am going to try to find the co's as quickly as I can on 130 grain. I still have my trusty 30-30 but I think this Savage is a keeper. As for my shoulder I'm a pretty big guy and good shape but after 25 or so rounds my shoulder is acking!