gnoto

NEW RIFLE PURCHASE FOR NOV HUNT ADVIDE

Guest Ernesto C

If you like lever actions why not getting the Winchester 270 or the Savage 308? Browning also have lever actions but I personally dont like the safety on the brownings lever actions.My two cents.

Ernesto C.

.270 Win. I have the Ruger M77. I shot my deer last year at 425 yards. I have a three inch grouping at 300 yds with Remington Corelokt bullets (only about $11) a box at wal-mart. I love It. My dad shoots his 300win mag, 7mm08, with his $30 a box rounds and is not any more acurate. Good luck

Edited by 110orbust

I have an old model 99 and wouldnt recommend it for overall big game because its lack of range. I also shoot a .280 and love it. I dont use it for coues but am toying with fitting it out for coues with a scope. I use a .257 weatherby mag for coues now and it is adequate for muleys/antelope etc......and is a real flat shooter. If I was to drop cash now for a new gun, I would seriously look into the .270 weatherby mag. There is a good article by Craig Boddington in the new issue of petersons hunting that lists the ballistics of various cartridges like many you have listed and other than the .308 warbird, the .270 wby mag has the best ballistic coefficient, ft. lbs of energy at 200 yards and a flat shooting gun compared to many others. Hope this helps........p.s. Walmart sells Wby guns at very very affordable prices.........Allen...........

My favorite caliber is the 300 win mag. I own ,243, .308, 22-.250, and for an all-around caliber the 300 win has them beat. I bought a Ruger M77 mkII in Springerville in 2001 and have since harvested an antelope, elk, and 2 (soon to be 3) coues with it. I also think that topping your weapon of choice with good optics is just as important as the weapon itself. I have tried alot of different brand of optics and always come back to Leupold, especially when they are going on magnums. In my opinion you just can't beat Leupold for clarity and eye relief.

The only animal I have had to shoot more than once was my New Mexico bull and that was because he was was heading towards a very deep canyon in the Gila wildernes area in 16b and at that time we had no horses. That is where my name of "packhorse" originated from, 3 bulls in 3 days, all on our backs! I wouldn't trade the experience for anything but then again I wouldn't want to do it over.

Packhorse,

We shoot identical setups. MKII Ruger 300 Win Mag, Leupold 3x9. What ammo do you shoot? I'm shooting 150 grain Nosler Partition, 72 grains IMR 4350 and Fed match grade primers. Good Medicine!

Kevin

I have been messing around with loads for the 300 win mag for the last 3 or 4 years, different powders, bullets, you name it. No matter what I do I cannot duplicate the accuracy I am getting with factory Federal Classic 150gr soft pnts, so needless to say that is what I hunt with. I topped it with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50. This rifle is the most accurate high-powered rifle I have ever owned, right out of the box.

Edited by azpackhorse

Gotta love that Ruger M77 Mark II 300 Win Mag. That's the only new bolt action I would buy, and I tried quite a few. Definitely a shooter, but I did glass bed that tip-hump in the stock and worked the trigger to get a 3 1/2lb pull, so mine's not quite right out of the box... but close. Bedding that tip hump makes a difference. And mine used to wear a Burris Signature, until groups opened up to 8" @ 100 yards... then it was right back to the L-word... in the 4.5-14 flavor. I've got a picture of what a couple of 180 Barnes-X look like after penetrating some serious elk tissue, if you guys want I can email them to you. That Barnes is almost all I shoot these days... with RL22 and Federal primers.

a .270 o'course. a friend bought a weatherby vanguard '06 at walmart the other day for $199. can't get much cheaper than that. but it wernt no .270. Lark.

I was told that Weatherby is redesigning the stocks on the Vanguards , going to the Monte Carlo again, and that is why the current models are being discounted (good, cheap, opportunity knocks). You might consider a walmart special in this rifle, or a Winchester Shadow in 300 WSM (also cheap at Wally-World). The WSM will be real similar to the Win Mag in performance/velocity. The selection of factory ammo in 300 WSM keeps getting better, and the 300 win mags selection is fantastic. Can't go wrong with either chambering.

I would also consider having a Sims recoil pad put on before deciding to install a muzzle break. The extra muzzle blast and flash will also contribute to flinching like the recoil will.

Thanks Guys I'm gonna stop by Wally World later today. Tough to not buy a Winchester, but if the Weatherby is a better rifle for the money I'll get it. I never considered a recoil pad or muzzle break. How much punch does it have. I have a short barrel 30-30 and had a 30-06 how much more kick does it have.

stopped by the store in central phx while at work. They had one each Win .300 and Weathery .300 but neither was discounted. Gonna check the secondary market tonight.

whats your choice.

savege .270 110

ruger .270 m77

the ruger will cost me about $125 more. Is it worth the extra $125

The Savage will generally give better out of the box accuracy than most factory rifles. They're ugly and unless it has the accutrigger, the trigger is awful. Did you find it a lot cheaper$$ than the Vanguard?

BUT, what happenned with the 300 Win Mag? It'll handle your next elk and shoots the 150 grainers as flat as a 270 Weatherby.

I'm voting for the Vanguard in 300 Winnie with a new recoil pad.