Sign in to follow this  
rimhunter

what bullet ?

I shoot the 45 grn jacketed hollow point out of my 22-250 and have had great sucess!! ;)

I have a .222 that I plan to use on dogs and cats and was thinking of using 50 grn VMax bullets . What are all you using ?

Bruce

In my 22/250 I use a 40 grain bullet and in the shoutgun I use copper plated BB's. Both work well on cat and fox and stop a coyote in his tracks. I think you may have a little to much fur damage on bobcats and fox with the 50grain v-max. A 40-45 grain might work a little better on fur

AzTrapper

If your concerned about pelts, try a TSX, trophy bonded bear claw, or partition. Ive got some partitions layin around im thinking of trying.

As far as fox and bobcats the 40 or 45 gr bullets should be good. For coyotes, make sure to have good shot placement, I use 55 gr vmax in 223 and they seem a little light to me just over 100 yds. I have had good hits on yotes and had them run 50 yards before falling, even when hit in the boiler room. I am going to continue to shoot them though, because so far they are the most acurate from my ar. Under 100 and they are devastating, and under 50 they are just plain messy, big exit wounds. I guess if the shots are all under 100 yds the 40 or 45 gr bullets will work great, but I havent tried them on coyotes, only at the range and on rabbits.

Thanks for all the advice I got some 40 grn vmax and plan to get them loaded in the next few days to test them out .Ill report back when I start testing .

Ill probably get in trouble for this picture, but this is a 50 NBT from my 22-250 into the last rib of a coyote at about 15-18 yards.

CoyoteFeb-2.jpg

55 TNT, knockem down "there" perfomance, good on pelts B)