Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrmatthews

36C Scare!

Just wanted to share a story with you guys who hunt down there. This year for the Nov. WT tag I was up on my hill at first light and just started to get to where I could see the next hill. While starting to glass I had 5 Illegals come behind me and surround me. They straddled my gun, which was lying next to me, and scared the heck out of me. I was shaking scared. They asked me if I had any problems with them, because they had the burlap sacks full of weed on their backs. I told them to just leave me alone I only wanted to be deer hunting. It scared me so bad that I ended up leaving that area and told BP where to go. I don't think they caught them, but I went to another hill the next morning and seen more Illegals stashing their dope. I once again told BP about it. I was so scared that the next morning I just went into my spot and shot a little buck just so that I could come home. I was by myself. Sorry for the long story, just wanted to share it with you!

Sounds like you were lucky in the sense tat you didn't get attacked or killed, and unlucky that it had to ruin your hunt and your sense of well being while out there. God Bless and take care.

Had the same thing happen to me in 36B twice last year. I wonder what the law is when something like that happens? Basically your life is in danger right? Do you have the right to use deadly force? Or get beaten or maybe killed worrying about going to jail for the rest of your life for protecting yourself against a desperate illegal drugrunner? Just wondering because I plan on hunting down there again this year and I am not going to let some illegals scare me away from something I love.

I have to admit, I was thinking to myself about what I could possibly do? I had one of them straddling my gun and they were asking if I had problems with them. I said "No problems, just want to hunt deer. You guys go!" I was in a pretty bad situation, and am thinking twice about going there again. I love that hunt, but it was scary! They offered me "smoke" to not tell "Policia". I told them to just leave with no problems. I agree that I was lucky that nothing happened to me! It sucks that we have to have these types of situations happen to us. I felt really helpless with them surrounding me like that!

Makes you wonder when our fed and state politicians will wake up and start looking after the American people instead of catering to other countries. :angry:

You did the right thing. You have no choice but to try and ease the situation. Yes you have the right to use leathl force in the situation as well if you fill your life is in danger. If you would have tryed anything you would have been killed before you could have even got very far into your self defence. The best way to be a witness for your case is to be alive at the trial.

That is why most of us carry hand guns down there. I never go down there with out mine. Even when I have my rifle for that exact reason. I wonder how they would have behaved if they saw you had a side arm?

It really is too bad that these illegal smugglers ruined your hunt. At least on this occasion they left without any trouble, it could have turned out differently. You did the right thing. This is a problem that will countinue to plague future hunts and hunters. I for one am tired of it, we should be able to hunt any area without fear for our life. Smugglers have and will shoot people if they feel its nessecary. While hiking in the huachuca mnts, I have had warning shots fired at me, at least I hope they were warning shots, to ward me away from their dope. Something drastic and immediate needs to be done.

What needs to happen is for some of these jackass politicians that talk all their crap on border patrol methods, need to take a trip with me down there and I will show them in less than two days just how many illegals that there really are. They would no doubt be extremely surprised at just how many illegals there are! Then maybe something could be done besides what efforts are already in place to help fix the problems.

I dont know if this is a sore subject with anyone, but the Minute Man Project seemed to slow the traffic down while they were in town. Point being, there are things that can be done. Question is, who and when?

Matt,

Unfortunately the polititians to don't want to fix the problem! AnthonyR.....I'm not sure what I would have done.....you did the right thing and your safe and could go back to your family. I think I may have arranged a gun fight after they walked......nobody should bully a US citizen on their own soil!!!

Have any hunters ever been killed/kidnapped by drug runners in the past? I'd guess that if not, and one was killed/kidnapped that there SHOULD be a huge outcry from outdoors groups - unfortunately, I believe, that is the only way for the politicos to have their heads turned to this particular issue.

We saw some weird activity in 36C during the archery hunt. maybe one of you guys have seen something similar or knows what they were doing. My Buddy and I are sitting on a hill side watching two Bucks approach each other and we are like cool! this is going to be interesting. Well the two bucks see each other a they try to be nonchalant and they kind of circle and then they but heads. Then they just walked off in opposite directions. Then they both spook and take off like thier tails on fire. We wonder what the heck scared them and we start looking for the cause. About a hundred yards from where the deer were comes these two Hispanic guys dressed in black walking really slow south. HMMM we say. Then they duck into some heavy cover at a bend in the arroyo and they stay there for about 20 minutes. Then one of them comes out and sneaks to the top of this hill and starts looking south. After about 10 minutes he apparantly see's what ever he was looking for and runs back down to his hide out. Half an hour goes by and we fiqure whatever they are up to it doesn't look like they are up to any thing good so we decide to call BP. We give the BP dispach lady the GPS coordinates and she says they will check it out. We hike back to our quads and never hear another thing about it. What do think these guys were up to?

Matt,

Unfortunately the polititians to don't want to fix the problem! AnthonyR.....I'm not sure what I would have done.....you did the right thing and your safe and could go back to your family. I think I may have arranged a gun fight after they walked......nobody should bully a US citizen on their own soil!!!

Scott, sadly if you initiated a gunfight while they are walking away you would be going to jail for murder.