CouesWhitetail

FEB 12 Application deadline for elk and antelope tags

I don't believe this will make a huge impact on Resident hunters either way.

What really sucks for the 600 hunters is that they will not only loose a bonus point for not applying this year, but they will also loose their loyalty bonus point as well. Kind of a two for one deal. Sucks for them, but probably a good thing for the other NR applicants.

Cabela's representatives were at the AZGFD meeting in Tucson this past weekend begging for an extension. Because they didn't petition the Commission, their case was not acted upon. They just got to talk. There may be a special meeting called if they do submit a petition, but the feeling is that the deadline is the deadline and there will be no extensions. They will be treated the same as everybody else.

As far as numbers go, there were fewer than 600 apps in those boxes according to Cabela's, not 40,000. This was all of Cabela's clients. They waited until Monday morning before the Tuesday deadline to send them all together. My guess is that almost all of them were for bull in premium units so if you apply for that kind of hunt your chances of being drawn may be slightly better. Meat hunters like me who want a young cow to eat won't be affected much.

This whole thing happened because UPS put the boxes on the wrong plane and they ended up in the wrong city. Game & Fish sent the boxes back unopened.

600 sounds a lot more reasonable.

Cabela's representatives were at the AZGFD meeting in Tucson this past weekend begging for an extension. Because they didn't petition the Commission, their case was not acted upon. They just got to talk. There may be a special meeting called if they do submit a petition, but the feeling is that the deadline is the deadline and there will be no extensions. They will be treated the same as everybody else.

As far as numbers go, there were fewer than 600 apps in those boxes according to Cabela's, not 40,000. This was all of Cabela's clients. They waited until Monday morning before the Tuesday deadline to send them all together. My guess is that almost all of them were for bull in premium units so if you apply for that kind of hunt your chances of being drawn may be slightly better. Meat hunters like me who want a young cow to eat won't be affected much.

This whole thing happened because UPS put the boxes on the wrong plane and they ended up in the wrong city. Game & Fish sent the boxes back unopened.

Well 600 does sound alot more like it! I even went back and asked again from my sources if the numbers they told me were true and they stood by what they said...........It just goes to show that even within the Dept. they don't know the truth about it. Who knows for sure......but regardless, it still sounds like it was a great year to be a NON-resident applying for an early rifle bull tag ;)

Well 600 does sound alot more like it! I even went back and asked again from my sources if the numbers they told me were true and they stood by what they said...........It just goes to show that even within the Dept. they don't know the truth about it. Who knows for sure......but regardless, it still sounds like it was a great year to be a NON-resident applying for an early rifle bull tag ;)

And to be one of the top Elk guides in the state who guided two hunters to 400+ bulls last year....

My resume is in the mail!

Hey Casey.......make sure to send your resume via UPS!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P justkiddin' ;)

:angry: hey!! you guys need to be thanking UPS not hammering them.at least we messed up in a good way this time. :P