Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Hunters n Ranchers

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’m sitting at deer camp right now on forest land that’s locked up by private lands. Very little traffic the past 4 days.

Nice brag. Where and how?

I remember growin up in the bootheel of New Mexico, several of the kids I went to school with came from the Gray ranch and Diamond A ranch. They always talked about the great hunting but both of those ranches were real stingy about who they let on the ranch.....then that conservation group came in and really put clamps down on a huge amount of land.

Haven't been down there for 35 years so I don't know what it is like anymore but I remember not understanding as a kid how some people could hunt there and others not.

Ben Brown kicks around down there now and probably knows alot about that country.........

12 hours ago, AZLance said:

Rancher Propaganda...

Not really buying into this statement. My wife's family ranches in upper Eagle Creek unit 27. My mother in law was born on the ranch almost 80 years ago. At that time most of the neighboring ranches were small leases and over the years were purchased to create one fairly large ranch. 400 acres of deeded, around 12,000 acres leased. 

Over the years we were able to get a few grants and donations from various wildlife groups to help establish better water on the ranch. At this time their are around 26 troughs that hold water due to a very elaborate and costly solar pump and underground water line. The brunt of the expense was paid out of pocket, anything that is erected or established on Federal land becomes Federal property if the lease is revoked. We have a small fortune at risk. Like I said, some of this work was paid for through grants and wildlife groups but the AZGFD was the smallest contributor. No contributed money is used on the private portion which only makes sense.

During last years drought because of the extensive work we had the only permanent water for miles and the wildlife prospers. If it wasn't for the daily maintenance this water would not exist. Get rid of the rancher and who is going to maintain all of those troughs and catchments? NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY PERIOD. All hunters will suffer the consequences. I posted pics titled " The power of water ". These pics were taken on un posted private land, the wildlife on the lease was amazing during this same period.

I fully agree with the interviewee stating that hunters have gotten more respectful as of late. Vandals with firearms can nearly bankrupt an operation overnight.

As a hunter myself I also suffer from five acres of private locking out forest access. I hate it. But because of all the enviro morons the AZGFD can't just push a new road around the outskirts. What is REALLY BS is the private land owner selling access to outfitters through their locked gates to forest service. 

Running all the ranchers out is a death sentence for hunting.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, singleshot said:

Not really buying into this statement. My wife's family ranches in upper Eagle Creek unit 27. My mother in law was born on the ranch almost 80 years ago. At that time most of the neighboring ranches were small leases and over the years were purchased to create one fairly large ranch. 400 acres of deeded, around 12,000 acres leased. 

Over the years we were able to get a few grants and donations from various wildlife groups to help establish better water on the ranch. At this time their are around 26 troughs that hold water due to a very elaborate and costly solar pump and underground water line. The brunt of the expense was paid out of pocket, anything that is erected or established on Federal land becomes Federal property if the lease is revoked. We have a small fortune at risk. Like I said, some of this work was paid for through grants and wildlife groups but the AZGFD was the smallest contributor. No contributed money is used on the private portion which only makes sense.

During last years drought because of the extensive work we had the only permanent water for miles and the wildlife prospers. If it wasn't for the daily maintenance this water would not exist. Get rid of the rancher and who is going to maintain all of those troughs and catchments? NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY PERIOD. All hunters will suffer the consequences. I posted pics titled " The power of water ". These pics were taken on un posted private land, the wildlife on the lease was amazing during this same period.

I fully agree with the interviewee stating that hunters have gotten more respectful as of late. Vandals with firearms can nearly bankrupt an operation overnight.

As a hunter myself I also suffer from five acres of private locking out forest access. I hate it. But because of all the enviro morons the AZGFD can't just push a new road around the outskirts. What is REALLY BS is the private land owner selling access to outfitters through their locked gates to forest service. 

Running all the ranchers out is a death sentence for hunting.

Is your wifes family hiring??? :) That is some awesome country and you are spot on with the work done/required to keep water available for livestock and wildlife!!!

17 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

Nice brag. Where and how?

I’d prefer not to say where, especially on a public forum. The how was as easy and knocking on doors and offering help to every rancher I could get ahold of. Then proving thru my actions that I’m not one of the bad ones. I gained access in 4 different units and I’m still wearing a couple of guys down lol but I see permission from them coming soon. Today we helped on a round up instead of hunting and showed the location of a busted water line due to a freeze. Ended up packing up camp and heading out early so we wouldn’t be in their way in any manner. They said it was unnecessary but I could tell they appreciated us getting out of their way.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’d prefer not to say where, especially on a public forum. The how was as easy and knocking on doors and offering help to every rancher I could get ahold of. Then proving thru my actions that I’m not one of the bad ones. I gained access in 4 different units and I’m still wearing a couple of guys down lol but I see permission from them coming soon. Today we helped on a round up instead of hunting and showed the location of a busted water line due to a freeze. Ended up packing up camp and heading out early so we wouldn’t be in their way in any manner. They said it was unnecessary but I could tell they appreciated us getting out of their way.

Well I did not figure where but thanks for sharing how. Looks like helping with the water tanks, troughs and miles of pipe is a big area that help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Nice job! We used to help out at the king anvil ranch back in the 70's. Not that we needed access, back then it was all open to hunting. We we're always welcome, and even stayed in bunk houses and ate supper with them. Great memories.