Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Is this archers paradox or bad form?

Sometimes it's your own head. If you start trying to see if your arrow is fish tailing you lose your form and upon release your moving things in your form to watch your arrow.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rag Horn said:

If a bow is out of tune will it fishtail everytime? I only see it once in while which made me believe it was something I was doing to cause it. I believed up to this point if it was a tuning issue the fishtailing would be more consistent? Am I wrong in thinking that? Thanks for the replies. 

Yeah a bow should be throwing arrows the same everytime.  I would definitely still do a bareshaft tune, even that tuning technique should show form or grip issues.  

• Like 1

If it’s inconsistent it could be one arrow...or you might have someone else watch or video a few ends and see if you can confirm. I was seeing fishtailing (I thought) at one point and had others watch my arrows and saw nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim said:

Sometimes it's your own head. If you start trying to see if your arrow is fish tailing you lose your form and upon release your moving things in your form to watch your arrow.  

Yeah I think when I was seeing it I was causing it by trying to see it. 

• Like 2

Bareshaft tune. In my experience that will tell you right away what is going on. If your bareshafts are hitting the same as your fletched and going into the target straight you are tuned. If not, could be form or bow set up, or both.

Paper is great to start with, but bare shaft will get you much more dialed and reveal any flaws in form.