Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

Which Scope? Backpacking rifle

I just got my hands on a 6.5 Creedmoor, weighs right at 5lbs.  All of the scopes I have on hand would defeat the purpose due to weight.  Still want an elevation turret,  so far my search has turned up the following.

Leupold VX-5HD 3.-15x44mm, Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44, Z5 3.5-18x44 BT 4W

Leaning towards the Swaro @ 16oz, the Leupolds are ~21oz. The VX6 has some great features but I am not sure it is worth the price. 

Anyone have experience with these?  Anything else out there anyone recommends taking a look at? 

I have the Swarvo Z5 3.5x18 with a custom turret. I bought it because of the weight. You're welcome to take a look through it. I have it on a 700 with Talley lightweight one piece rings/bases.

Leupold vx3i CDS 4.5- 14.5 is right around 14.5 ounces. About as light as you're gonna get for that magnification. Also has an moa elevation turret.

For a bunch more money that Swaro looks to be perfect for not much more weight

Thanks PRDATR I will let you know. I need to get the thing to the range and see if there is a factory ammo it likes. 

Good suggestion ForkHorn, I may see if I can go fiddle with one at BP or Sportsman's.  

I have shot behind 8 different Swaros, Z5, Z6, and X5.  Great scopes, great glass.

I have also shot behind a couple VX-5HD, VX-5, and one VX-6HD.  I also have another one sitting in my safe as we speak waiting to get sighted in.  Great glass too.  I just personally have an issue with Leupold's past record with tracking. 

If it were me, I would look at something with at least enough elevation adjustment to get you out to 1000.  Which would he about 25-28 MOA.  If I remember correctly, the Z6 is only a single turn turret.  The Z5 has 58 MOA of elevation, so you should have about 25-29MOA with a zero MOA mount.  

20190207_193419_zpshcpxrccc.jpg

20190207_192806_zps75up2xjy.jpg

20190207_193206_zpseglhgjlv.jpg

Thanks!  Specs do show 58in for the Z5.  This would put the set up under 6.5lbs. 

PRDTR the bolt is fluted.  I bought the Barrett field craft from a member on this site. Can’t imagine how it could be made any lighter but I am pretty used for o 10lb plus rifles. 

• Like 1