What do you guys think is the best hunting video camera out there?

I'm leaning toward the Canon GL2

The XL1S seems like it might be a little to big.

What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance

Matt

I did a BUNCH of research on this about a year and a half ago. I was going to get the Canon GL2 but after reading lots of reviews I opted for the Panasonic AG-DVC30. It's a great camera. One word of caution - be sure you will actually use it. I bought mine almost 18 months ago for a big chunk of change and have found that I barely ever use it - probably less than 1 hour total so far. A freind of mine who owns the GL2 suggested a smaller, cheaper alternative but I opted for the "prosumer" route against his advice. I kinda wish I had saved the $$ and gotten a little pocket-sized one. It would probably get more use. Just my $.02.

I have a buddy who has the G2, and he told me that it works great for bowhunting and short range stuff. He didn't think it was all that great for long range shots. I've never seen the footage myself, just what I heard.

Mike

It depends on what you are wanting to do with the footage. Are you trying to produce a TV show or just have good footage of your hunts? I use the GL2 and find it's an excellent camera and it's not to big to carry around. You can get a doubler for it to give you more range, but you trade a little in picture quality when using the doubler. I have created promotional DVDs for outfitters using that camera and it works great. The XL1 will give you a better image, but unless you are producing a TV show, I don't think it's a big enough difference to justify the extra cost and weight.

Amanda

It depends on what you are wanting to do with the footage. Are you trying to produce a TV show or just have good footage of your hunts? I use the GL2 and find it's an excellent camera and it's not to big to carry around. You can get a doubler for it to give you more range, but you trade a little in picture quality when using the doubler. I have created promotional DVDs for outfitters using that camera and it works great. The XL1 will give you a better image, but unless you are producing a TV show, I don't think it's a big enough difference to justify the extra cost and weight.

Amanda

Ditto. We have both and the GL2 gets used more. I have not used the doubler but I do wish I could zoom in more......especially for Coues hunts! Definitely make sure you plan on using it a bunch to justify the cost. Some of the smaller cheaper cameras will do a great job just as well if you don't have any big plans for the footage. JIM>

if you want to save some change, jvc makes a nice little full hd camera called the everio. the only problem i've had is that the OIS is crap, so a good tripod is essential. also has a doubler which helps. i think it retails around 1500 or so.

I'll check into some of the other cameras. I have used a friends GL2 and loved it ( he has the high quaility doubler)

I thought the double was a necessary in the desert.

No TV show, just want quality hunting video, So i can post 'em on here ;)

I'm not worried about not using it, just worried about breaking it from constant abuse.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Matt

You got to figure out what you want it for. If you want to make videos, consider the Canon XL2. They are kinda big but you can buy lenses for them and get great zoom without loss of quality. Smaller options are the GL2 or Sony VX2100. The Sony seemed to have a bit better low light quality in the few comparisions I got to see, but both are good choices. If you want to really commit to it, consider the high def cameras being made. More money, but I hear good things from the guides I know using them. Your last option if you arn't going to be trying to sell your videos is all the new handi style cams being made by Sony, Canon and Panasonic. Panisonic is pushing hard it has the cheapest HD cameras without loosing quality. I would doubt you get the same quality though from a $600 camera compared to the $2200 cameras, IMO. Last note, look for a 3ccd camera for best video quality. There are a few really compact ones out there these days that I have read decent reports about. Good luck and if all else fails, get a Canon ZR model or Sony handi-cam for $300 and see how much videoing you are really going to do, because best intentions sometimes falls short when you are already packing all your hunting gear around and then you arn't out huge bucks. Plus they are really small with 20x zoom. Good luck!

I'm Looking at the Canon XH-A1. Does anybody have experience with this camera?

Similar to the GL2, but HD.

XL1S and XL2 both seem a little big for hauling all over the mtns, XH-A1 would fit in a fanny pack, with doubler, and still kick butt on a tripod.

What do you guys think?

Matt

I'm actually looking at this one too... Did you find out anything more on this cam?

I'm Looking at the Canon XH-A1. Does anybody have experience with this camera?

Similar to the GL2, but HD.

XL1S and XL2 both seem a little big for hauling all over the mtns, XH-A1 would fit in a fanny pack, with doubler, and still kick butt on a tripod.

What do you guys think?

Matt