Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

Snakes

I seen a snake dead in the road on Tuesday, wondering if anyone else has started seeing them while out.

post-53-1204837111.jpg

I seen the snake on the road and was tranferring some pics, this is an old pic and but when I seen it I wondered how many snakes have already been seen this year.

I haven't seen any snakes but some lizzard are out.

I still have a thing agianst rattlers for biting my dog. That dang snake costed me a pair of swaros. :angry:

Does the U of A still pay 250.00 per 6 ft live rattler??? Some exciting nights hehehe....

I thought the UofA called their 6 footers wildcats not rattlers, and the last I heard they paid them a lot more than 250.00, but if 250.00 is what they are paying now, that would explain their record this year in basketball. :lol:

I spend alot of time in rattler country and I havent come across one yet this year. It IS gettin to be about that time again though, so heads up, er down.

We beat the brush pretty hard in 24B yesterday it was a nice day to be out. I thought about putting the gaitors on for snakes. We did see lots of lizards but no snakes. Thank goodness because i was not in a killing mood. Put 60 miles on the quads also and lots of miles on the boots. :rolleyes:

Saw this one today..Time to keep an eye out. :ph34r: It was crossing the road just outside of Globe. :(

post-1253-1205113380_thumb.jpg

This topic brings up a question that is always on my mind when i am hiking in the warm months.

If you were bitten by a rattler say 2 miles from the truck or quad, and your by yourself is it better to make that hike out which excellerates your heart rate, or wait for your rescue party. keep in mind the rescue party may not come for a while. especially if you don't have cell service.

personally I think I would walk out and take my chances. Any snake xperts or medcal people have an opinion?

here is a pic of one I saw this summer in my hunting area.

post-363-1205113886_thumb.jpg

a friend of mine growing up was bitten by a large timber rattler on the way into the black river to fish. he ended up spending the day there fishing, then walked out. he was terribly sick the next day, but lived to tell about it. i don't think i would have stayed to fish, but i definitely would have walked out rather than wait. kind of along the same lines about the smaller snakes letting go of more venom.

Hmmm...purdy nice pix of snakes posted ;) . Az Ranger, you raised a very important question. What do I do if bitten by a rattlesnake and I'm by myself. Well first of all the cell phone is your friend, secondly don't go into a known snake populated area without a buddy; but if you must and you're out of cell phone range, too bad. Would I walk to the nearest road to get someone's attention, maybe? Depends on the symptoms being exhibited and the severity of the bite. Two miles can seem like 1000 when you're in intense pain and probably vomiting and going into shock. Secondly the urban myth that "little rattlesnakes" are more dangerous than a large one is just that... an urban myth. The reason I believe this rumor gets spread around is that immature rattlers have a high incidence of neurotoxin venom component than a say a large five foot rattler. Giving rise to a perceived increase in serverity of symptoms. A five foot rattler will pack one heck of a dose of venom and I would rather be bitten by a small snake than a larger one any day. The larger snake will have more myotoxin/hemotoxin components to their venom=more tissue damage. Does a immature rattler have less control of its venom? No science to prove that it does but it sure will get your attention if it thinks you are going to eat it. So bottom line, never go out on warm days by yourself, if a snake doesn't kill you the sun will or maybe even a drug smuggler. Plus the cell phone can be a life saver, but always get to an emergency room as fast and calmly/safely as you safely can. Remember "time is tissue", that is, once bitten you have a limited amount of time on your hand before the tissue damage becomes extensive. Antivenom will only slow the progress of the damage not reverse it. Stay safe, leave the rattlesnakes alone and continue to post those sweet croat pix. iHunt that's not the Black River in Arizona right, because there are no timbers in Az, perhaps it was a black-tailed rattlesnake. NoFX, that is a big 10-4 on that advice, thanx for that post very informative and some great info.

Ernest

So bottom line, never go out on warm days by yourself, if a snake doesn't kill you the sun will or maybe even a drug smuggler.

Ain't that the truth!

fIND ME SPOT.COM - Cheap insurance if you ask me...

http://www.findmespot.com/

SPOT. The World’s First Satellite Messenger.

With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your family the peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location – with a link to Google Maps™ – and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with the hunt party, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don't.

So bottom line, never go out on warm days by yourself, if a snake doesn't kill you the sun will or maybe even a drug smuggler.

Ain't that the truth!

fIND ME SPOT.COM - Cheap insurance if you ask me...

http://www.findmespot.com/

SPOT. The World’s First Satellite Messenger.

With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your family the peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location – with a link to Google Maps™ – and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with the hunt party, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world – even where cell phones don't.

Hmmm...purdy nice pix of snakes posted ;) . Az Ranger, you raised a very important question. What do I do if bitten by a rattlesnake and I'm by myself. Well first of all the cell phone is your friend, secondly don't go into a known snake populated area without a buddy; but if you must and you're out of cell phone range, too bad. Would I walk to the nearest road to get someone's attention, maybe? Depends on the symptoms being exhibited and the severity of the bite. Two miles can seem like 1000 when you're in intense pain and probably vomiting and going into shock. Secondly the urban myth that "little rattlesnakes" are more dangerous than a large one is just that... an urban myth. The reason I believe this rumor gets spread around is that immature rattlers have a high incidence of neurotoxin venom component than a say a large five foot rattler. Giving rise to a perceived increase in serverity of symptoms. A five foot rattler will pack one heck of a dose of venom and I would rather be bitten by a small snake than a larger one any day. The larger snake will have more myotoxin/hemotoxin components to their venom=more tissue damage. Does a immature rattler have less control of its venom? No science to prove that it does but it sure will get your attention if it thinks you are going to eat it. So bottom line, never go out on warm days by yourself, if a snake doesn't kill you the sun will or maybe even a drug smuggler. Plus the cell phone can be a life saver, but always get to an emergency room as fast and calmly/safely as you safely can. Remember "time is tissue", that is, once bitten you have a limited amount of time on your hand before the tissue damage becomes extensive. Antivenom will only slow the progress of the damage not reverse it. Stay safe, leave the rattlesnakes alone and continue to post those sweet croat pix. iHunt that's not the Black River in Arizona right, because there are no timbers in Az, perhaps it was a black-tailed rattlesnake. NoFX, that is a big 10-4 on that advice, thanx for that post very informative and some great info.

Ernest