I sent my wife to Frys to get pork butt to mix with Deer burger and she came back to say they only had pork butt roast.  It was expensive.  Do you all go to a real butcher shop for pork butt or bacon trimmings?

I make a lean pulled pork loin in the crockpot every couple weeks throughout the year and keep and freeze the generous trimmings. They slide through the grinder perfectly and keep the meat cool.

I agree pork butt is insanely expensive. Bacon "bits and ends" are cheaper but I only like to grind it for certain recipes as it's way overpowering on game. 

Lots of great ideas suggestions already. I will post a couple more that I like:

• Yes, as others have said, you can defrost, make something else, and refreeze.
  • I like to make up a big batch of Italian Sausage seasoning mix. Then I just add it to my burger when I am ready to cook for some very lean Italian sausage patties (we eat on burger buns), use it for spaghetti, etc.
  • I'l make up a bunch of meatballs using my recipe in 5-10 pound batches at a time. I bake them in the oven and then freeze them after for quick and easy meals later (sandwiches, pasta, on rice with cream of mushroom soup, etc.). Each time I make a batch I think they will last a few month, but they never last that long as the family always devours them.

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

I sent my wife to Frys to get pork butt to mix with Deer burger and she came back to say they only had pork butt roast.  It was expensive.  Do you all go to a real butcher shop for pork butt or bacon trimmings?

Watch for sales. Every couple of months you can find pork butt roasts on sale for about $.99 a pound. A little late now, but Sprouts had them for $.99 a pound last week. As hunting season approaches, I will often buy a whole case (8 pork butts) for an even bigger discount from many places, especially restaurant supply stores. Even at regular prices, these places are usually under $1.50 per pound if you buy a case. I'll smoke half of them, shred, seal in the freezer vac, and freeze. When ready to eat, throw the bag of meat in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes. This makes a FANTASTIC a super easy camp meal, or just for easy meals at any time for the family, BBQs, etc. But at times where I haven't wanted a whole case, I've never had a hard time finding buddies to split a case with, especially as hunting season approaches.

I also like to add bacon trim to a good percentage of my burger. I have found that the best place to buy it, by far, is Restaurant Depot (Country Club and Baseline in Mesa). You have to have a membership, but it is free and anyone with a business/tax ID can get one. The sell a 25 pound box of bacon end bits and mis-cuts for about $25 (price may fluctuate), perfect stuff for grinding. 

On 5/9/2019 at 8:11 AM, rossislider said:

Watch for sales. Every couple of months you can find pork butt roasts on sale for about $.99 a pound. A little late now, but Sprouts had them for $.99 a pound last week. As hunting season approaches, I will often buy a whole case (8 pork butts) for an even bigger discount from many places, especially restaurant supply stores. Even at regular prices, these places are usually under $1.50 per pound if you buy a case. I'll smoke half of them, shred, seal in the freezer vac, and freeze. When ready to eat, throw the bag of meat in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes. This makes a FANTASTIC a super easy camp meal, or just for easy meals at any time for the family, BBQs, etc. But at times where I haven't wanted a whole case, I've never had a hard time finding buddies to split a case with, especially as hunting season approaches.

I also like to add bacon trim to a good percentage of my burger. I have found that the best place to buy it, by far, is Restaurant Depot (Country Club and Baseline in Mesa). You have to have a membership, but it is free and anyone with a business/tax ID can get one. The sell a 25 pound box of bacon end bits and mis-cuts for about $25 (price may fluctuate), perfect stuff for grinding. 

I always wondered about Restaurant Depot. I find that Food City has good prices on pork. I shop there every week.

• Like 2