Sign in to follow this  
Schmitty

help me focus on which new bows to try

Well, I finally drew my dream tag up in Unit 8. I've been shooting the same Browning midas hunter set up for almost 14 years now. It's accounted for a couple of elk, deer and a javelina, but it's time to look for a new dancing partner. I haven't kept up with all of the latest and greatest in the archery world, so I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm going to plunk down the $ for a new setup in the next week or two, I just need to know where to start looking.

I need a 31" draw length minimum, 32" would even be better. All of the new bows will be so much faster than the old setup that I don't need the latest 340 fps barnburner to keep me happy.

My neighbor is a big Hoyt fan and has the Vectrix XL and loves it. There is a Hoyt dealership in Humboldt, so that's attractive that I won't have to head to the valley for service. He's pointing me towards the new Katera XL.

Prescott Valley archery are dealers for Matthews, and I see they make an XL Drenalin as well.

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

It's going to be a spendy proposition as I'll be adding new rest, quiver, arrows, broadheads, sights, etc.

I'll probably buy the best I can afford as I don't want to do it again for another half doz years.

Thanks for the help,

Schmitty

32" draw?

Do your knuckles drag the ground? :P

Have you thought about the Bowtech Guardian? The quietest and most forgiving bow I have ever shot.

Truthfully, any of the modern bows will shoot great, just find one that you like.

I would also question the 32" draw. You must have some seriously long arms. I'm 6' and shoot a 29" draw, and with the string loop I wouldn't mind a tad shorter. Perhaps you know what your asking for but perhaps you might get measured.

Having a shop nearby that can service and support what you have is important. Most bow manufacturers today have sweet shooting bows. Start shooting what the shops have and something will feel right. I shoot the Mathews Drenalin and like it. Quiet, fast enough, and very smooth shooting. Not cheep but I tend to keep my bows for many years.

I also would recomend a short(er) draw length vs. an longer one.... I am just a shade under 6' tall (5'11 1/2") <_< ... and I prefir to shoot at 28 1/4"-28 1/2".

Reguardless of draw length, as most know... I AM A MATHEWS GUY!!! :lol: :lol: However.... FYI.... the longer the bow (axle to axle) the more forgiving it will be... I prefir a longer bow for that reason. Even if it may be a bit more cumbersome at times....

Good luck with the New Bow and that Great Tag!!

My buddy Jason will only buy from that Mathews shop in PV.... ;) I think me too from now on.... :)

CnS

You can read alot of evaluations and opinions on archerytalk.com The 2008 bow evaluation shoot-off is not finished yet.

Shoot em all then decide. Get your draw length accurately measured though. I like the new Bowtech General, even if it is not a speed bow. But if you do indeed have a 32" draw to get speed, being able to use smooth drawing cams is a blessing.

Bull Basin here in Flag carries Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech and others for a one-stop comparison.

Congrats on the unit 8 tag.

Thanks for the replies,

As for draw length, it's what I've shot for 15 years. I'm 6'5 and my wingspan is over 80 inches. I'll go ahead and get measured just to see what the pro shops suggest.

I'd like to try shooting a few different bows, however what I've found in the past. (I've been looking for the past couple of years, the tag has finally pushed me over the edge) is that most shops don't have anything set up for a guy my size.

I've also been pulling 80 lbs as well, pushing my rebar like arrows at 240 fps. (Easton 2613's w/ 130 gr muzzys, penetration was never a problem ;) )

It looks like 70 lbs is pretty standard these days for limbs, which is fine as I'm not getting any younger.

Keep the suggestions coming,

Schmitty

With a 32" draw, you will get great speed with almost any of the new bows, much higher than the bow's IBO rated speed given the same IBO condtions other than draw length. Becuase of that, I would stay away from the speed bows, and go for the more forgiving bows, brace height more than 7". You will get great speed with the forgiving bow. (I'm 6'4" and shoot a 31" draw, shoot 285 fps with a 425 gr @ 70lbs, with a 7.5" brace, and a 5 year old PSE) You should be able to get at least 300 fps with a medium wieght arrow (420 gr) 70 lbs, and a forgiving bow. The long draw length is a great advanage! Also, with the high speed, you may want to consider mechanicals.

Good luck and let us know how you end up,

Mark

I second the Bowtech General, great bow fer us with long arms. I am 6'5 and have a 31 1/2 draw length. But, make sure the bow feels good to you before you buy it.

With today's bows, you dont need 80 lbs. When I bought the General, I went from 72 to 65 lbs and am still getting good speed.

The first 3 bows that came for mind for your draw length were

1. PSE X-Force Long Draw

2. Bowtech Commander

3. Hoyt Katera XL

All these bows are fantastic shooters and with a 32 inch draw you should have no problems with speed. As Gino said the longer the bow the more forgiving and all of these bows are longer in today's terms of bows.

Before you jump on me for not posting a Matthews Gino I am not sure which models will allow someone to get a 32 inch draw. Matthews are good bows and I would look at them if I were you, just be ready to drop some change :P

My next bow will probably be a Bear Truth II. I have the original Truth now and love it. A lot of bow for the $$$.

I would also question the 32" draw. You must have some seriously long arms. I'm 6' and shoot a 29" draw, and with the string loop I wouldn't mind a tad shorter. Perhaps you know what your asking for but perhaps you might get measured.

Having a shop nearby that can service and support what you have is important. Most bow manufacturers today have sweet shooting bows. Start shooting what the shops have and something will feel right. I shoot the Mathews Drenalin and like it. Quiet, fast enough, and very smooth shooting. Not cheep but I tend to keep my bows for many years.

Craig is a bonofied 32" draw. you guys know about me, and he makes me look small!

I like the Bowtech General, very quiet, forgiving and ZERO hand shock. I also like the the 82nd airborne, but dont know if they come with you 48" draw lenght.

Craig is a bonofied 32" draw. you guys know about me, and he makes me look small!

I like the Bowtech General, very quiet, forgiving and ZERO hand shock. I also like the the 82nd airborne, but dont know if they come with you 48" draw lenght.

The General only goes to a 30 inch draw and the 82nd Airborne goes to 30.5 inch.

How can you like that 82nd Airborne it has to be the roughest draw cycle I have ever shot. It is fast and pretty quiet but that bow is just uncomfortable to shoot.