Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

strange days...............

was reminiscing this evening.  weird fishing.  strangest hunts ever.  i am sure many have better tales but here goes.  1967 till about 1971 overgaard AZ.  grandpa Markham gave me a box of 6 or 7 gopher gitters and told me to kill the gophers ruining mom and gramma's gardens.  well i could barely stand the sight of gophers torn up in traps.  but "I liked it.  I was good at it" lol.   nothing strange here-until mom started pimping me out.  'get yer traps kid-we got work for you'.  and so i guess i saved many a garden in overgaard before i was 10.  did not seem strange days then.

did some live catch of rattlers for dog trainers from 1975 till 1977.  terrified, shaking and pissing myself for the first few-then lifting a 5 footer off the ground by the tail and laughing while people were sceaming and running away a year later. 

setting up my 257 AI varminter on a friends 2nd floor deck in vernon.  the chickens and pups were going missing alot.  had a johnny stewart 'puppies playing' tape.  'bout burned out the barrel on 'yotes we really stacked 'em up.

us kids would hunt tomato horn worms and squash them like mom said.  the Reverand Allen next door had the only concrete driveway in the neighborhood-we would put them down and drop big adobe bricks on them for the splash.  the reverand would come home to a green slime driveway and we would get our hides tanned.  fun shoot. 

fishing?  a fellow asked us kids at the bait shop to have our parents bring us out to the old Goldfield store on Apache Trail and to bring our fishing gear about 1972.  sure enough he had a couple of tin boats and we caught a thousand bluegills-monsters-in the flooded vertical shaft of the old goldfield mine.  Goldfield Ghost town now.

did not fish but still can't believe those big bluegills in little potholes the size of a pressure cooker on Ruby Creek right in the middle of the road just west of Montana Peak.  that was like 1994-95.

i don't know how they do it but some residents of Mcnary take baby redear sunfish and stock them each spring in seeps up around lake mountain, brushy mountain and wishbone.  then in september they come back and fish out these big slab redears that got fat on mosquitos all summer long. if u see a half dozen old ladies in lawnchairs with cane poles fishing around a seep 12ft long by 6ft wide stop and ask how the fishing is.

strange days,

lee

ps  yea i know i need help evil grin!

• Like 2

in the 1980's i fished the sea of cortez with some marine biologist wanna be's/nuclear scientists.  if the wind blew at cholla and augustine would not let us launch one of these fellows had a backup plan.  he would not even wait for lunch and a fried ice cream-off north we would go.  when we got to sonoyta mike would head west on mexico #2-'camino del muerto'.  a few miles west of sonoyta we could see quitobaquito springs and the surrounding bosque to the north and then find a two track south off the hiway and park.   we would grab a bunch of stuff and start hiking south into heck on earth-then drop down into the mostly dry rio sonoyta riverbed.  then the day was spent seining and netting sonoyta pupfish out of potholes for him to smuggle north to his giant personal aquarium(8ft tall!  or is that 8' deep?) to breed pupfish.  really.

lee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoyta_pupfish

8' is deep for pupfish but they are cool fish to keep and have lots of personality. There are a few different kinds in the hobby. I bough a pair, don't remember which subspecies, about four years ago but the female got caught in the siphon when I was cleaning the gravel before I had a chance to breed them.